when i try to open some .exe files pc shuts down

Ben capewell 16:30 27 Mar 2010

I had some programs (.exe )on external hard disk and when i tried to open them the the pc would power down and reset.
Thinking it was the hard disk, but no, i down loaded some web design software from komposer, onto internal hard disk, and when i try to run the .exe file pc still resets.
I have looked all over the net for this problem but cant find anything that helps.
Have tried doing the control pannel files and typing .exe thing ! what that did is balls up all the .exe files, as all most programs are opening fine.
Have not got the disk to do SFC /scna now either

Getting to the end of my tether now as i am great need to get the pc running properly, as i need to get a web site designed.
Is there any other software like JV16Powertools as my free trial expired 2 months ago and was thinking that may of helped.

Graphicool1 17:15 27 Mar 2010

See if this turns anything up...

Click on 'My Computer'
Right click C: (your OS drive)
In menu click 'Properties'
Click the 'Tools' tab
Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now'
click the box next to...
'Automatically Fix File System Errors'
Click 'Start'
A notice will say it can't do it until the next time you boot. Click 'Yes' and reboot

Graphicool1 17:17 27 Mar 2010

Have you tried 'System Restore' to back before all this started happening?

Ben capewell 18:03 27 Mar 2010

Tried system restore, a few times with no joy. I had this problem about 2 months ago and fixed it but i messed with that much stuff cant remeber what i did !.
This time
Some of the files i was trying to use were from external hard disk i was mounting on daemon tools, but i have removed Daemon now thinking this was the issue, but with no joy.

Graphicool1 18:53 27 Mar 2010

Have you run the 'Automatically Fix File System Errors' as listed above?

Graphicool1 19:07 27 Mar 2010

You haven't said what OS you're using?

ubuntu1user1jb 21:00 27 Mar 2010

try scan it with a anti virus or upload the file to virus total and see what it says

Ben capewell 09:48 28 Mar 2010

HI guys tried the file fix thing on hard disk - didnt work. Tried virus checker still no joy. Any other ideas, Now cant open a folder on the external hard disk.

ubuntu1user1jb 20:51 09 Apr 2010

so you can't access your external hard disk?

Ben capewell 10:19 10 Apr 2010

In the ended i disabled auto restart if windows detects a problem. this enables a blue screen before it does shut down, and you get an error code, in the end it was a missing .dll file that was needed by the on board graphics card, got the .dll file of internet and put it into reg, and all is fine now,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone