When i d.load a programme it disappears-Help?

buel 22:54 27 Jan 2009

Hi there, just lately whenever i download a programme and install it it never seems to appear on my desktop. A perfect examply was tonight when i downloaded dvd shrink, i used it, restarted my laptop and couldn't find it on my desktop, when i used xp's search facility it found it, i tried to 'open containing folder' and it appears in something called 'Prefetch'!! What is this please??

buel 23:45 27 Jan 2009

bump

brundle 23:47 27 Jan 2009

Have you looked in the Start Menu? Did you choose "Create a desktop icon" when installing? It's ticked by default...

lotvic 23:57 27 Jan 2009

DVD shrink (unless you unticked the boxes) should have a Desktop Icon shortcut, be in All Programs on the Start menu and be installed in C:\Program Files\DVD Shrink\dvd Shrink 3.2.exe

Are you saying it is not in any of these locations?

The dvdshrink32setup.zip file should be wherever you decided to save it to when downloading, then you would have had to extract the files in order to click on the setup.exe to install the program.

Have a look in the above locations to see if it's there.

T0SH 11:55 28 Jan 2009

When your download begins you will see a box with a progress bar in the lower left corner there is a tick box saying

"Close this when download completes"

or words to this effect, by deselecting this box when the download is done you will have the option to "Open the Folder" where the download is located

All of the above assumes you are using IE

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone