when is broadband not broadband

slimvices 10:22 02 Jun 2005

I have a 1meg broad band account for my small company. my pc has 54g wireless(not speed boost).
when I am down loading files I get transfer rates of anything from 8kb/sec to 130kb/sec(generally averages between 50-85). generally the transfer starts fast and slows as it progresses. Now I am aware that I am not going to get full speed using a wireless connection, and I am aware that if others are using the internet then they get some of the band width aswell, but I see these figures when I am the only one on, and one of my co-workers claims to see the speed fluctuations and he is hard wired.
can any body explain this?

also we get our broad band session drop out for 5-15 minutes everynow and then(the connection light is on and the session light goes out). this has only started happening in the last month or so. the router is a linksy and there help says to check that it is set to always on(which it is). the braod band supplier says it is a fault with BT and BT say it is a fault with the broad band suplier or the router(I can see a circle forming). does anybody have any experience of this or any tips that might help.

best regards
Slim

TomJerry 10:35 02 Jun 2005

(1) 1Mb is 1M bits per second, 1 byte is 8 bits and it will take 10bits to transfer due to overhead (for error correction etc).

so your up limit is about 100 kb/sec, average 50-85 is normal

(2) you have "fast" connection, but another end may have small connection, also many users may try to download from the same server you are downloading, i.e. the download speed is also limited by whoever provide you file for download

(3) Maybe you should consider to change ISP because a lot os users(including myself) never have any session dropping problem even with home service. I assume that the business service should be more reliable.

madPentium 13:00 04 Jun 2005

The trouble in the UK is there are a lot of telephone lines that are on the borderline for broadband stability. I myself have 1mb connection but I am on the border line for this. My distance from the exchange and the quality of signal on the line caused an argument in BT. The engineers say I should only be allowed 512, whereas the managers of BT say I can have 1 meg.
SOMETIMES when I connect I get great speeds, others its not so good. If we have bad weather for example, my connection suffers. Your connection is only as good as the computer you are connected to for downloading. If you are getting 10k, they are only GIVING 10k. Changing isp will NOT help you. They will all still use your line and connection to the exchange. The only thing you can do is change the technology, e.g. go to NTL and use fibre. I have heard BT are looking to change all lines to fibre over the next few years but that doesnt help now.
You can check the quality of your line by looking at your connection status and see how many errors there are. I get 1 packet drop per meg on a good day, but hundreds in stormy weather and the line drops. An enginner called to my house and changed the master socket which took my signal from 6 decibels to 13. The minimum he said should really be about 16. Short of digging up the streets, the local school, the woods, which is where my line runs underground, theres nothing they can do.
One last point to consider when on the internet is spyware. At one stage my connection would only let me download at 50k max. I used adaware personnel and voila, I was up to 120k again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?