When is Anti Virus Not Anti Virus

Jester2K II 10:18 09 Sep 2003

There is a thread here about Norton AV not being able to delete or quarantine a virus.

Last night i saw a PC running McAfee (all up to date and set up correctly) which had a virus running on it. However McAfee had no alerted the user of it presence. It had got on to the PC and then started with every boot up for a while - not a peep from the AV.

It was only when i saw the suspicious entry in the Startup list and i specifically asked it to scan the file that it announced "Virus Found!!"

McAfee then also told me it couldn't delete or quarantine the virus. I had to remove the startup entry, reboot and then get the AV to work.

If i was less PC savvy then i would be stuck!!!

AVG Free Edition has never let me down so why do the "big AVs" of Norton and McAfee behave like this?? Surely Norton or McAfee should be able to shut down a running virus and kill it??

Or is that too much??

Jester2K II 10:19 09 Sep 2003

Ignore - multiple post

wildrover 10:31 09 Sep 2003

Jester2K II: You may be interested in this pdf. Can't imagine why there is not an easy way to do this. May be interesting to "can't delete a virus" thread also.

Jester2K II 10:36 09 Sep 2003

Which pdf? The "Can't delete a Virus" thread is the one i was referring to...

wildrover 10:36 09 Sep 2003

Oops. This pdf click here

Jester2K II 10:41 09 Sep 2003

I think i know what you are referring to...

The bit about some viruses block some AVs.

Well in this case the Av was fine and running OK. The virus didn't attack the AV either.

Really an AntiVirus should remove the virus withou having to resort to these instructions.

Not related to my quetion but...

If Viruses writers can protect their viruses by adding code that makes sure the viru is replaced the second its removed from the Hard Drive or memory then why can't this be built into AV software too?

wildrover 10:52 09 Sep 2003

I should have posed the question. I wondered if the virus could block its detection or deletion but leave the AV prog running apparently as normal?? I don't know if this is the possible(but wondered if you knew?) which is why I posted to this thread, not to the other.

Jester2K II 10:59 09 Sep 2003

Some viruses will check that the Hard Drive copy is still intact. If it is removed then it will gnenerate a new one.

However McAfee could remove it in the first place.

True you can't delete a file in use but surely the AV should be able to terminate the virus and then remove it? Why can AVG Free Edition do it and McAfee seemingly not??

IClaudio 11:39 09 Sep 2003

I agree with you, Jest...

Couldn't get on with Norton, tried AVG and now I'm using the latest version. Incidentally, version 7, the latest is no longer free, but 33 USD for 2 years solid protection in these dark days can't be bad!

Jester2K II 11:46 09 Sep 2003

Apparently AVG 7 Free Edition will be out by the end of the year (September apparently) according to their tech support..

IClaudio 11:05 10 Sep 2003

Oh great, my evaluation runs out 30 Sept!

Incidentally, on your v. useful site, you don't mention MailWasher, which I think is indispensable in keeping the Spam at bay.

And another thing, O Wise One... my email address is tbridge@... How do I get mail to very similar, but not the same, addresses? For example, tbrewer, tbray and so on?

TIA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone