Whats the total Power output

Beas-Knees 20:00 21 Apr 2004

300 watt power supply running tower case with 1333 athlon, DVD rom drive, CDRW drive with USB powered scanner and USB card reader + the monitor.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:09 21 Apr 2004

Assuming that you are not using every item all the time;-)) the average electricity usage 60W/hr....the cost of a lightbulb. The monitor uses most and you can forget about the rest as their usage is minimal.

G

SEASHANTY 20:25 21 Apr 2004

Wattage used by some common items
click here

Beas-Knees 20:29 21 Apr 2004

The reason i was asking is because i have just bought 2 350 Va Liebert UPS,s- one for work and one for home,the one at work is working great and during a short power cut yesterday saved the day and kept the PC running yet if i connect the one up at home then the overload light and beeper come on,The only main difference between the 2 systems is the USB scanner and Card reader.Should a 350 unit be big enough to run a PC and monitor ?.

Gongoozler 20:37 21 Apr 2004

The average power use may be as low as suggested by GANDALF <|:-)>, but the peak demand can be much higher, hence the need for power supplies of 300W + rating.

As a matter of technicality GANDALF <|:-)>. Watts is the rate of electricity use (1W = 1V x 1A), therefore a W/Hr it a rate of change of use, like an acceleration.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:51 21 Apr 2004

A 350 will be more than enough. Assuming that you use the PC frequently and leave on all the time (shut off monitor when not in use) the average will be 60w/hr (I know but that is how leccy bills are laid out for the bewildered;-))) ) For a normal computer I cannot see more than 180w being used at any one time. There can be peaks and my figures refer to 'normal' computers and not the barking mad ones (liquid cooling-nitogen natch, graphics cards that use the entire power of a Scottish village,more RAM than Crucial carries and a light show to make the burghers of Blackpool redden) used by teh 'gamerz'.

G

Graham ® 20:54 21 Apr 2004

Please note, the link given by SEASHANTY is a US site, where the voltage is 120v. Please half the value of watts for the UK equivalent of 240v.

Gongoozler 21:01 21 Apr 2004

Hi GANDALF <|:-)>. Call me Mr. Pedantic (or anything else) if you like, but: A W-h, or Wh is a watt consumed for an hour, e.g. a kWh is a watt used for a thousand hours, or a thousand watts used for an hour, otherwise commonly referred to as a unit. This is what electricity bills are generally based on.

What I think may be upsetting the UPS for Beas-Knees is the initial switch-on surge when all the computer parts are starting up. Depending on how sensitive the overload sensors are, this surge, probably only lasting a second or so, may cause the problem. Switching the monitor on a few seconds after the computer may overcome this.

SEASHANTY 21:04 21 Apr 2004

The Power Supply. From Upgrading & Repairing PC's
Eighth Edit. (Not all that up to date as this QUE book is now in the 14th. Edit I believe) However it does go into PC power supplies in great detail.
click here

Graham ® 21:22 21 Apr 2004

Good link!

SEASHANTY 21:28 21 Apr 2004

Graham - Yep - it's Mr. Muellers annual. I have the
12th Edit somewhere but cannot just lay my hands on it. Surprising as its well over a thousand pages.
I also found this 'tongue in cheek' article on switched power supplies fairly amusing
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone