What's the power Consumption of a Lappy??

AngeTheHippy 09:36 10 Aug 2008

As I leave my Lappy powered up al of my waking hours, I'm wondering (and have been for a while...)just how much power it's using - not in hibernation mode? I do NOT like leaving other stuff eg TVs on standby, but the Lappy is a different matter.

Anyone know the answer to this please?

On the power cable, mid-way is a transformer-type thingy (dunno the terminology for it!) and on it's reverse it says::
Input: 100-240V - 1500mA
Output: 19v ---4740mA

Would this mean it's only 19v?
How would this calculate to Wattage??

AngeTheHippy
xx

Pamy 09:40 10 Aug 2008

It will probably be printed on the bottom of the laptop or in the manual

tullie 09:44 10 Aug 2008

Why not turn it off?

AngeTheHippy 10:24 10 Aug 2008

On the bottom it just states: 9v---4.75A
tullie, I have it sited other end of the kitchen, and if I turned it off each time I needed to go to it would mean powering up/down 20-30 times a day!! More sensible me thinks to just leave it running...

xx

Pamy 10:27 10 Aug 2008

What is the make? you could do a Google search for its specs and I am sure it would tell you the consumtion

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 10 Aug 2008

What you are taking from the mains is the input voltage to the AC/DC adaptor (transformer-type thingy).

Power = Amps x Volts

P = 230V x 1.5A = 575 Watts.
This would be the maximum

AngeTheHippy 10:47 10 Aug 2008

Pamy, it's a 6-year old Evesham model. Too old I think for the spec to be online...

Mornin' Fruit Bat /\0/\ , so are you saying the power consumption is 1/2 a megawatt per hour???

AngeTheHippy 10:52 10 Aug 2008

how much I wanna know would that work out money-wise? £5 a day? More? Less? Mind you, if it costs £5 today it's likely to cost £10 next week!! Can't keep up with these price rises...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:57 10 Aug 2008

Half a megawatt? your using a small power station :0)

No half a kilowatt maximum. This would be for intensive use + battery charging. I suspect average draw would be less than half of that.

Elec units are measure in kilowatt hours, your bill will show latest price per unit (approx 12p per unit)

So 1 unit for 4 hours, costing you 3p per hour to run.

AngeTheHippy 11:04 10 Aug 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\ , my deliberate mistake (ahem ahem...) of COURSE I meant kilowatts..LoL LoL!!

mmm. so possibly costin' me 36p/day, c.£2.50 p/w for average 12hrs powered up p/day?? Gonna turn it off NOW!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all,

xxx

AngeTheHippy 14:52 10 Aug 2008

I've had a thought!! I don't ever use this lappy via it's battery, if I removd it would it then take less power do ya think??

AngeTheHippy
xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires