What's possible with wireless network?

Pineman100 12:00 01 Jul 2007

My PC runs XP SP2 Home. I connect to the internet via a Belkin wireless router/ADSL modem, with a USB wireless adaptor attached to my computer.

I'm thinking of buying my wife a laptop computer, which will be wireless enabled. I understand that this will allow her also to connect to the internet via the router. But I have a couple of other questions about this setup:

1. Would we both be able to use the internet connection simultaneously?

2. Would this setup allow the two computers to be networked peer-to-peer via the router? Or for that would we need to have an ethernet cable connecting the network cards in our two computers?

3. A new laptop would presumably come with Vista pre-installed. Are there any problems networking between XP and Vista?

Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated.

Woolwell 13:39 01 Jul 2007

1. Yes. But you may notice a drop in speed whilst you are both surfing.

2. You can share files over a wireless network. You will be able to see each other's shared folders. You will need to run the network set up wizard. You should not need an ethernet cable between the two.

Note for 2. above - this is for XP as I have no experience of Vista.

tobyb121 14:14 01 Jul 2007

3. none at all for a simple home network with a workgroup, though I do find it quite annoying to use vista's new network center, though you will not be able to connect to a domain which uses xp, such as you may have at work or at school.

Pineman100 14:28 01 Jul 2007

When I was at school, I think the idea of a computer was just a gleam in Charles Babbage's eye!

tobyb121 19:08 01 Jul 2007

I stand corrected, you can acutually connect to an xp domain in vista, its just me that can't!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?