What's on my hard disc?

reebok 22:36 11 May 2003

I've been having loads of problems lately, so I thought it was time for a reformat.....since then I have only re-installed Win 98, Nero and AOL.
Why is my C drive showing 2.4GB used?
I've had a hard time reformatting, and have had a few messages that seem to think there may be a virus, could this be possible, virus scans show nothing.
Any help appreciated.

Hitman codename 47 22:49 11 May 2003

Windows itself takes up a lot of hard disk space. Over 2 GB is about right. XP with SP1 takes up about 2.5 GB. Even more if you were to use System Restore with the later operating systems.

One thing.

Could you please post what actual problems you were experiencing with your PC.

Also a reformat is a relatively easy process to go through. Just time consuming.

So please post your problems and I and other forum uses shall see what we can do.

:-)

Hitman codename 47 22:56 11 May 2003

Windows itself takes up a lot of hard disk space. Over 2 GB is about right. XP with SP1 takes up about 2.5 GB. Even more if you were to use System Restore with the later operating systems.

One thing.

Could you please post what actual problems you were experiencing with your PC.

Also a reformat is a relatively easy process to go through. Just time consuming.

So please post your problems and I and other forum uses shall see what we can do.

:-)

Lone Crow 23:08 11 May 2003

If you have a virus scanning feature set up in the BIOS it might see your attempts to reformat as virus action and give you warnings about it, such as "You are attempting to reformat your hard drive - are you sure?". If you got that sort of message it's only the BIOS doing its job and informing you. Best to check in the BIOS (press Del, F2, whatever, according to the message you get on-screen as you begin the bootup process) and set any virus checking feature to Disabled before you reformat - though it's a bit late for you now, I guess! LC.

leo49 23:14 11 May 2003

errh.... 98 has no system restore and 98 itself is well under 500mb so unless AOL takes up 2gb your figures are a touch out.

Hitman codename 47 11:08 12 May 2003

I actually said "Even more if you were to use System Restore with the later operating systems."

Meaning after Win98.
And i doubt my figures are out.

I run ME and XP and they both take just over 2 GB.

This is because on the cd-rom installation disk they are all compressed files to fit on one cd-rom. Thus, when it is installed on your hardrive, they get uncompressed. Crazy.

Try a fresh install and see if you don't believe me.

Regards.

leo49 12:07 12 May 2003

None of which is relevant to the actual question which refers to 98.

"Try a fresh install and see if you don't believe me"

I've done plenty of fresh installs of 98 and ME -and I don't.

I'm looking at one of ME now on one of my partitions and with printer,firewall,avg,and a dozen other programs installed,used space is 640mb.

Tog 12:20 12 May 2003

My previous PC had 2 HDDs of 2Gb & 3Gb. The OS was on the 2Gb HDD and there was still plenty of space left.

Confab 13:09 12 May 2003

2.4GB does seem a lot. You could try this click here I've never used it but it may give you some clues. Also run maitenance wizard and tick the box that says remove old installation files. These will take up space on your HD but are not needed once windows has been installed.

Regards

Confab 13:11 12 May 2003

Also check your installation discs. They should specify how much space is needed to install them.

Amber

Filch 14:50 12 May 2003

2.4 GB is way too much. Just over a week ago I formatted a hard drive and installed Windows 98 SE with Word and Imaging, my ISP, Outlook Express, IE, and Reg Cleaner - total 410 MB.

This machine I'm using now has the above plus a film scanner, flatbed scanner, printer, external CD-RW, Photoshop LE, PhotoDeluxe 4, didital camera programme, Picture it, AVG, and a few other things, plus several TIFF fotos, and it all comes to 1.46 GB.

You should be well under 1 GB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone