What's the minimum Spec PC for Broadband?

ivesy 13:40 11 Mar 2006

I ask as I have spent nearly 4 hours yesterday setting up Tesco Broadband for my girlfriends parents.

I followed the instructions to letter and made sure all the telephone filters were in the right place but I still had problems retaining a connection!

The PC is a Pentium 2 400 Celeron with 64MB RAM running Windows ME. I know it's not cutting edge but it worked perfectly well for dial up internet.

The problem was I getting connected but after visiting a couple of pages the connection was lost (I presume) as I was getting the message 'this page cannot be displayed'. I rang the helpline who said I had to clear the cookies in Internet options and also change the number of days for History to zero and reboot. This actually worked until...

I used it again for about 5 minutes or so and the same thing happened again. I rang for help again and was told to disable the virus software (Avast) and alter the MSCONFIG startup when I mentioned it was ME not XP I was told not to do this bit!

Has anyone got any ideas? I could understand if I never got connected but to get connected then to lose it is really frustrating! As ever I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Diodorus Siculus 13:46 11 Mar 2006

What's the minimum Spec PC for Broadband?

Don't know a minimum but I've seen it with win98 on a Pentium90 so your celeron 200 should be ok. Painfully slow but ok :-)

That's the good news, I suppose.

What sort of modem do you have?

Are you sure it is compatible with WinME?

mehome 13:47 11 Mar 2006

what modem are you using,try updating the drivers.

ivesy 13:54 11 Mar 2006

Good question, I think it's the Speedtouch 330. I could give that a go. I assumed it was compatible with with ME I checked BT's site and they say anything from Windows '98 onwards should be fine for Broadband. It's just I'm at a loss to as to why the connection goes I don't know if there's a setting in Internet explorer that needs changing for example?

anskyber 13:57 11 Mar 2006

This is Blueyonders min requirements but it will vary with ISP click here

anskyber 13:58 11 Mar 2006

That being the case you could be on the limits with the RAM

anskyber 14:03 11 Mar 2006

I have checked several other ISPs and they all (the 4 I checked) specified a min of 64 MB of RAM. With the OS also running it could be your problem

Stuartli 14:07 11 Mar 2006

Tiscali's minimum broadband specifications are:

#Processor PII 233 MHz or higher
# 32MB RAM
# Four-speed CD-ROM player
# Video card/display 800 x 600, 256 colours
# 150MB free on your computers hard drive
# Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 Professional or XP. Macs are compatible with Broadband but are not supported by Tiscali.
# A USB port that can supply 500 ma (a rectangular port/plug approximately 12mm wide x 4mm high that allows you to plug in peripheral devices such as modems, printers, MP3 players, webcams etc.)

mehome 14:09 11 Mar 2006

my speed touch loses conection with the supplied drivers in xp.download the driver update here
click here

ivesy 14:16 11 Mar 2006

Yeah I had a bad feeling it might. The thing is this is annoying because the PC is actually compatible with what both BT and Blueyonder say is the minimum specification!

ivesy 14:22 11 Mar 2006

Thanks for all the help I've downloaded the latest drivers and will give that a go!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?