Whats this mean: res://leframe.dll/dnserror.htm...

HMG1K 14:39 13 Nov 2008

Hi,

What does this mean, please?:

waiting for res://leframe.dll/dnserror.htm...

When I open IE7, my home page won't load (click here) - it looks for the site and is trying to connect but in a flash the above RES message appears in the bottom left of the screen.

If I keep hiting F5 repeatedly I can make out the above message.

At the moment although I have full internet connectivity (wireless broadband) I can't get online.

Thanks in advance for your help
Philip

sil_ver 15:05 13 Nov 2008

Doing a 'Google' seems to reveal that the problem is with IE7 or updates thereto. Some suggest uninstalling IE7 and reverting to IE6. Personally I use Firefox.

provider 2 16:16 13 Nov 2008

This may not be an easy or quick one to fix. I think it might be an idea to check your firewall settings, especially if you are running ZoneAlarm, but here are some more possibilities:

click here

provider 2 16:38 13 Nov 2008

"It seems that it was a firewall issue all along. Switching to Firefox didn't help. Turns out, when I made a selection is ZoneAlarm to allow the DNS/DCHP in the trusted and internet zone on the High security setting, everything worked just fine."

This may not be your particular issue, though.

HMG1K 17:16 13 Nov 2008

Thank you! I've made sure there's no firewall installed or antivirus installed or running.

I know what you mean about it not being easy to fox - spent the day researching this. Tried WinSockFix and although it didn't fix the problem it said the following file couldn't be released / reregistered as it was in use by another program. (IE7 was shut down during this):

C://WindowSystem32/MSdmx.ocx

I hunted for that file and it doesn't exist.

Do you think this missing file could be the key?

provider 2 17:38 13 Nov 2008

Possibly, but I would tend to go for the simpler, even if more time-consuming stuff first in the hope of doing no harm.

Also you might want to give the mysterious healing powers of Softpedia`s Dial-a-Fix a go just in case it may solve the problem:

click here

HMG1K 17:53 13 Nov 2008

Thanks... Yep, tried Dial a Fix just now.

And reinstalled IE7 - no luck!

Looking at my Activity data - it says 1,885 bytes sent to 9,810 recieved (within minutes of restarting after reinstallation of IE7). So it's recieving better than it was - but no connection to the net!

Would a reinstall (over the top) of my current XP installation help?

provider 2 16:24 14 Nov 2008

HMG1K,

This is a beaut, right enough, and a re-install may eventually be the only way to fix it ... seems rather drastic, though.

Have a look though these 167 responses, some just confirming the problem, others offering successful fixes and see if you can find something that you haven`t tried yet:

click here

Legolas 16:46 14 Nov 2008

I would try a repair installation of windows should not take long and none of your files or settings will be changed.

HMG1K 17:55 14 Nov 2008

Thanks everyone...

JUST - in the last hour - managed to fix the problem after nearly coming close to a XP reinstall!

I went to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and uninstalled my NIC and LAN connections, and my wireless card and waited. About 5 mins later XP found these three devices, and reinstalled them automatically. I then tried the net and BINGO! It all worked as normal! I got the IE7 window up (as I reinstalled that last night without luck) and I am now back online!

Thanks for all your help and advice - I hope my solution helps others should they ever have the misfortune to be struck by this annoying hassle!

Philip

provider 2 12:27 15 Nov 2008

Philip,

Neat solution. Congratulations, and your fix noted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?