Whats the max processor this mobo will take?

Dipso 22:12 14 Dec 2005

My old Time PC is being handed down (yet again!) and I was wondering whether it was worth upgrading the CPU. It won't be used for anything too demanding but any improvement would be nice. It currently has an Athlon 750MHz.

All the manual says is "Supports 500MHz, 550MHz, 600MHz or higher processor". How do I find out how high?

This is the mobo info -

The MS-6316 ATX IR3 mainboard is one of our system board to implement
the AMD-750 chipset (AMD-751 and AMD-756), which supports a single
Slot A for AMD Athlon® processor.

The PC is currently running ME which I don't intend to change and has 384MB RAM.

I am thinking of second hand or Ebay as the supplier if poss as I don't want to spend too much.

I am retiring for the night so will check for responses (if any) in the morning. Cheers.

DieSse 22:46 14 Dec 2005

The fastest slot A Athlons produced were 1GHz (1000MHz). Quite honestly, I think the performance hike you will get will be insignificant in terms of the money you will spend, and the hassle you might get into.

My personal advice, save your money and the effort.

Totally-braindead 22:54 14 Dec 2005

DieSse is absolutely right, I thought slot a was the same as socket a and just having a look about I see they are not similar at all. I too think its too much hassle, the only way you could get one is second hand with the problems that entails and to be honest I don't think you would notice a great deal of difference. Put the money toward a new PC and leave this one as it is.

Dipso 12:46 15 Dec 2005

Thanks for your responses. I will do as you both suggest and leave it as it is then.

The recipient is a 6 year old and this is their first PC. The intention is to let them "experiment" on this one and then buy/build a newer model when they're older.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?