Whats the laptop hard drive connection type?

theDarkness 00:24 24 Nov 2010

My old laptop hard drive is a Seagate Momentus 4200.3, ST980811A.

Some websites state that it has a SATA or Ultra ATA connection, others say that its IDE or PATA. Heres a picture of the back of my one, slightly blurry:- click here

I was thinking of getting a USB caddy for it off ebay, so would any 2.5" IDE to USB device be suitable? I keep thinking that perhaps for my exact same model that there might be both SATA, IDE, and Ultra ATA versions, so I need to find out what one I have and what USB lead will fit. thanks for any help

lotvic 01:04 24 Nov 2010

According to Seagate click here
Specifications
Model Number ST980811A
Interface Ultra ATA/100

it might be cheaper to not bother with the caddy, unless you really want one, and just get a lead set like
USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power Adapter for 2.5/3.5/5.25 Inch SATA or IDE Drive

lotvic 01:07 24 Nov 2010

Oops forgot the link to pic of one on Amazon click here

theDarkness 01:44 24 Nov 2010

thanks to both of u-it was to get the documents off the old laptops hd, from what I thought was either a failing hd or damaged system, but Im going to try and get a new battery for its motherboard as a last resort (system wont even boot).

I managed to eventually find a lead lurking around, so was able to connect to the drive with it (usb to both ide or sata on either end). I forgot a simple lead would do it, I google/ebay things up and it was the caddy that appeared first.. am half asleep, lol

I found this exact cable 5 mins ago
click here
It was cheap off ebay ages ago, but with all the reviews stating how dangerous its mains plug was (heating up/smoking), I did not want to chance that with any hard drive, so I ended up binning it and keeping the cable. Fortunately the mains plug was not needed for the hard drive to work via usb! :) thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone