What's a good de-frag program ?

TommyRed 15:18 01 Oct 2003

The windows de-frag took 4 hours and according to PC Pitstop it was 58% fragmented before de-frag and 36% after, not very good for 4 hours work. So I'm after a program that'll be a lot quicker and much more effecient. PC Pitstop also mentioned enabling DMA mode but I get a warning if I try and enable it, any thoughts ? Thanks TR

expertec 15:27 01 Oct 2003

Diskeeper Lite click here

mammak 15:29 01 Oct 2003

click here try this,Mammak

mammak 15:31 01 Oct 2003

Oops expertec, bit of a cross on our posts sorry about that.

alcudia 15:54 01 Oct 2003

Sorry to but in. The Web Attack site states that this is for 98/NT/ME/2000, but does not mention XP. But the screenshot is from XP. Can I take it that it will work on XP without problems.

Apologies again.

Barriew 16:10 01 Oct 2003

Yes it does, but its not a lot quicker or more thorough than the XP defrag prog. I suspect that the windows prog is a version of Diskeeper light - the UI is very similar.

Barrie

alcudia 16:12 01 Oct 2003

Thanks very much

TommyRed 16:49 01 Oct 2003

Can diskeeper Lite run in the basckgound whilst I'm surfing the Net? I realise that it would probably slow things up. TR

Stuartli 16:52 01 Oct 2003

Are you sure you haven't got a screensaver running?

The fact that your drive was so defragmented appears to indicate you don't defrag on a regular basis - the worse I have ever had on a 20GB drive was about 94 per cent and that was after several weeks' use.

I wouldn't have thought that using other than the inhuilt Windows defrag would make much difference in the speed or efficiency.

woodchip 16:54 01 Oct 2003

Speed Disc is what I use, Part of Norton Utilities

Stuartli 16:55 01 Oct 2003

Re using defrag whilst surfing - the program will not be able to defrag properly and it's best to let it get on with its job alone; same if programs are left open rather than closing everything possible down.

I find that moving the mouse slightly every 10-15 minutes, depending on how long your screensaver is set to kick in, ensures the minimum time for a defrag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?