Whats going on during start-up?

Bailey08787 12:31 01 Apr 2005

Hi.

When I boot my pc it goes through the standard screens, but then goes blank for about 2 minutes. Then a white progress bar appears at the bottom, then zips by, and it goes to the Win XP Pro screen - about 30-45 seconds later I reach my XP login screen.

Is there a way I can find out whats going on during startup?

I know what programs get booted (from looking in msconfig), and there's nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

PS - (Please no recommendations to do a fresh install - I hate the way people regard this as an answer to all problems - I've not spent years installing a variety of programs/applications to have them all cleared and have to do again)

thanks

Zaphod Beeblebrox 12:40 01 Apr 2005

A white bar looks like it is doing some sort of scan at start up have you got a scan disk scheduled to run on start up may be worth checking scheduled tasks start/all programs/accesories/system tools/ scheduled tasks. or do you have any 3rd party disk checkers installed that may run a preboot scan

alnwrd 18:11 01 Apr 2005

you need to type services.msc at the run prompt to see what else is loading. A good site for checking what can be set to manual or disabled is

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017