What's going on with 'Driver Max Agent'?

Pineman100 10:08 11 Jan 2009

Yesterday I installed the latest version of Driver Max. I like to keep a CD burned with all my device drivers, in case of a necessity to reload my system (although I've never had to do it yet).

As part of the installation, Driver Max placed an icon in my System Tray, which is tagged 'Driver Max Agent'. Today, I've had a popup window headed 'PCI standard ISA bridge, XP 32 bit', and showing a list of about a dozen entries, all listing '7.2.0.1220', each with a different username attached, and a few of them with brief comments against them in a variety of languages. There's also a star rating system.

I suspect that this is some sort of driver file exchange system, but I can't work out (a) what the driver is, and (b) whether I'm being offered it, or asked for it.

Is anyone familiar with the Driver Max system? If so, please could you explain what's going on?

birdface 10:31 11 Jan 2009

I downloaded the latest version last week and have no problems or pop ups with it.Maybe see if it is in msconfig and untick it.

Pineman100 10:49 11 Jan 2009

I have that option in mind as a possibility, but before I disable it I thought I'd try to see what it's all about.

cocteau48 10:58 11 Jan 2009

Googling for 7.2.0.1220 it is apparently an "Intel SIS Graphics Driver"
Is that relevant to your system?
If so I would choose one of the versions and install it.
Odd thing is that if you put 7.2.0.1220 into the search box on the DriverMax site it does not appear to find anything.
I do not have DriverMax running all the time and only run it on an ad-hoc basis so have never seen any pop ups which I presume occur if you have it running in the background when the next scheduled update occurs.

birdface 11:07 11 Jan 2009

Like cocteau48 I do not have it running at start up.And check about once a month for any new versions.You might go 3 or 4 months until it finds a new driver update.So no reason for it to run at start up.

Pineman100 11:46 11 Jan 2009

According to Everest, my motherboard Chipset is SiS 661FX/GX, and I have an SiS PCI IDE controller - I guess the latter would be relevant in this case. But, as I said, I can't make out whether this 'Agent' report is offering me driver updates, or asking me to share my driver file.

The driver file currently installed for my IDE controller is 5.1.2600.2180, so it seems likely that I'm being offered a more up-to-date one. Would you agree?

I confess that I've always shied away from updating system drivers, on the principle of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Are there genuine advantages to updating drivers, even when the device isn't misbehaving?

buteman - I suspect that I shall probably end up doing as you and cocteau48 suggest, and taking this function out of my startup folder. But I'm just interested to explore it a bit further, first.

sunnystaines 11:50 11 Jan 2009

i have the same chipset and keep to the original, i do not update the sis drivers they get wrongly identified by many software drive scans.

birdface 12:06 11 Jan 2009

So far I have updated all the drivers that have been recommended and I have had no problems.I have not heard of anyone having problems with Driver Max but I suppose there has always got to be a first.I can see no point of having it downloaded and not using it.If you are quite happy with the way your computer is running the obvious thing would be to remove it.But you must have thought that your computer was maybe not running as you would have liked it to run and thats probably why you downloaded it in the first place.

cocteau48 12:10 11 Jan 2009

Have you run the "check for driver updates" from within the Drivermax program. That should tell you what driver version you have installed and what the latest available version is.
To go from 5.1.2600.2180 to 7.2.0.1220 sounds a helluva jump to me and may not be the same driver.

Pineman100 15:55 11 Jan 2009

Between you, you've pretty well reinforced my own feelings. I'm nervous of updating system drivers - particularly when everything seems to be running well, and when I'm not absolutely certain that the replacement driver is the correct one.

Yes, I have run a driver update scan, more out of interest than anything else. Considering the age of my computer (6 yrs) I was surprised at how few driver updates were found.

Anyway, I've now created my driver backup CD, so I think I'll disable Driver Max in my startup folder, and just run it as required.

Thanks very much to you all for your contributions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache