Whats eating my memory

Ciggybumly 19:27 26 Feb 2006

Ive got 1gb of ram on my pc but from the start up there is only 600mb available. Ive looked at the start up programs and whats currently running and checked them against searches on the internet. They all seem to be either needed or recommened to not terminate. I regularly run anti spy ware and anti virus. Any help freeing up my ram would be great

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 26 Feb 2006

Thats exactly what happening with my PC just running Firefox at the moment.

Seems the more you have the more gets used.

mattyc_92 19:54 26 Feb 2006

When I first logon, about 360 MB of my 1GB memory is also used up.

It is to do with things like Windows Update Fixes, etc... that I believe use up more RAM as there are more *.dll files being loaded into the memory

Ciggybumly 20:03 26 Feb 2006

cheers, i supose its ok if its the same for every one

terryf 22:24 26 Feb 2006

I you don't have a separate graphics card, integrated mobo graphics will use system ram.

Ciggybumly 13:07 27 Feb 2006

ive got seperate grapgics card, just seems like too much is getting wasted somwhere. as i say nearly 500mb is used when the machine is just booted up

gudgulf 14:09 27 Feb 2006

Many programs like to load at start up....such as your antivirus and any other antimalware scanners with background guard features.Things like QuickTime,Real Player,Sun Jave and others have automatic updaters that load background processes.............all of which can add up to a significant amount of memory being used on top of what Windows needs.

Right click your Taskbar and open Task Manager from the menu that pops up.In the Processes tab have a look at how many processes are listed at the bottom........my own pc is currently listing 63 with my normal start up programs plus a few web pages open.I am also using over 600Mb of RAM as shown by the figure for Commit Charge.You should also check for any programs that are using large amoumts of memory in the list....make sure you know what they are just in case you do have any rogue start up entries.

It really is nothing to worry about.....but if you are wanting to run ant memory intensive programs you could consider upping your RAM further....I use 2GB to cope with my heavily loaded pc and high end gaming.

mattyc_92 14:16 27 Feb 2006

"msconfig" (without the quotations) and remove items that you don't want to run at startup
Or, you could use a program such as "Startup Control Panel" from click here which is safer that msconfig as it doesn't list critical items for use with the operating system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?