Whats the Difference

ronalddonald 23:17 19 Apr 2008

between Intel Pentium D and Intel core 2 duo. im not very Teche at this and would the core duo have a pentuim and would all software programs going back for the last 5 years work on the intel core duo. Many thanks for advice.

MAT ALAN 23:24 19 Apr 2008

Dual core is simply a generic term referring to any processor package with two physical CPUs in one. The Pentium D, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo and Athlon X2 are all current CPUs that have dual cores in one package.

The Pentium D is simply two Pentium 4 Prescott cpus inefficiently paired together and ran as dual core.

The Core Duo is Intel's first generation dual core processor based upon the Pentium M (a Pentium III-4 hybrid) made mostly for laptops (though a few motherboard manufacturers have released desktop boards supporting the Core Duo CPU), and is much more efficiently than Pentium D.

The Core 2 Duo is Intel's second generation (hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs.

Note - Intel has dropped the Pentium name in favor of the Core architecture as Intel is restructuring and refocusing it's efforts to become number one again (and are doing a fine job, might I add).

The AMD Athlon X2 CPUs have two revisions, the first one is essentially very similiar to the Pentium Ds in that they are simply two Athlon 64 chips fused together, making power requirements quite steep (around 89 watts). The second revision is made more efficiently, like the Core Duos, with much less power consumption (around 65 watts).

There are, of course, other differences, but that is the gist of dual cores as it relates to Intel and AMD

sunny staines 02:19 20 Apr 2008

on the subject of intel cpu's i have seen some with an "E" prefix does this mean celeron?

ICF 09:59 20 Apr 2008

Computer shopper this month has a comprehensive list of all the processor available and each one is tested 38 in all.

ronalddonald 13:46 20 Apr 2008

I would also like to if the "E" prefix is celeron? I b using a desktop with duo, hopfully will run sage instant accounts v12. i b getting it from Cougar

Pineman100 16:23 20 Apr 2008

My Core 2 Duo machine runs all of the software that I've got - some of it older than 5 years.

But I run XP. If you're planning to run Vista, then there's possibly more of a risk that some of your old software might have problems. However, Vista has a function called the Compatability Wizard that can help in such situations. Here's a quote from the Vista Help & Support files:

"If a program written for an earlier version of Windows doesn't run correctly, use the Program Compatibility Wizard to change the compatibility settings for the program. To change settings for a program manually, use the individual program's Compatibility tab.

If changing the settings does not fix the problem, go to the program manufacturer's website to see if there is an update for the program.

Warning
Do not use the Program Compatibility Wizard on older antivirus programs, disk utilities, or other system programs because it might cause data loss or create a security risk."

Lee.C 20:50 21 Apr 2008

In answer to 'what does the E prefix mean?'......

No, it's nothing to do with Celeron. Most, if not all, of Intel's current dual-core desktop cpu's use the 'E' prefix.

To elaborate on the original question......

Celeron = Intel's basic cpu. Fine for running everyday applications but will struggle if the workload gets too heavy.

Pentium D = Now a bit dated but capable of running all of today's application well enough(not necessarily future ones though).

Core2Duo = Effectively the Pentium's replacement. Much faster and more energy efficient.

Core2Quad = Basically two Core2Duo's merged together. Probably overkill at the moment but will be very useful for futureproofing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?