whats the difference?

saintorsinner 08:30 05 Apr 2006

what is the difference between a windows start up disk and a windows boot disk (this is not a joke honest!)i need to reinstall windows xp and it wont install. i have also lost the small partition off my hard disk after reinstalling windows me. any way i can get it back?hard drive was250gb now only 192gb

Diodorus Siculus 08:53 05 Apr 2006

When you say XP won't install, what are you using for the install procedure?

A startup disk / boot disk may be the same thing or may refer to something totally different depending on the context.

If you give more details of what you have some more help may be possible.

VoG II 09:00 05 Apr 2006

Boot disk click here

XP setup disks click here

Installing XP click here

saintorsinner 09:12 05 Apr 2006

i usually install me first because that installs ok and then xp over the top of it - when i try to install xp without first installing me i get insert startup disk message

saintorsinner 09:16 05 Apr 2006

Diodorus Siculus
i use a me cd and an xp cd for installing

Diodorus Siculus 09:28 05 Apr 2006

Does your PC boot direct from the XP CD?

saintorsinner 09:36 05 Apr 2006

no but it boots from the me cd

Eric half-bee 09:39 05 Apr 2006

Has your partition, or is it that it is no longer assigned a drive letter?

For XP, go to Computer Management (right-click on My Computer and select Manage) and go to Disk Management - this will give a visual display of your hard drive layout with all partitions shown. Right click on the appropriate patition for options.

saintorsinner 09:47 05 Apr 2006

hi Eric half-bee it shows in the top section - c drive capacity 192gb fat 32 healthy and in the bottom section disk 0 c = 233gb fat32 healthy

saintorsinner 09:55 05 Apr 2006

it was my own fault i had half my disk formatted fat 32 and half formatted ntsc so when i had a fatal crash and reinstalled windows me it somehow lost the 40gb i was using as a backup but it must still be there somewhere

saintorsinner 10:06 05 Apr 2006

i have to go to work now will check back after 5.0 if anyone has any ideas!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?