What's better than M/S Paint

drums 14:34 02 Feb 2004

I need help, I'm looking for a simple prog. like M/S Paint where I can cut & paste and only be left with the item I've drawn, no surround like in Publisher. The problem I have with Paint is that the files are huge when saved as Bmp, and if I save them as Jpeg I get a blurring at the edges of the drawing.
Anyone any thoughts please.

Drum

Cook2 14:37 02 Feb 2004

Look around for a copy of MGI PhotoSuite III or IV. Does the job quite well.

Microsoft PhotoDraw is also very good.

Stuartli 14:52 02 Feb 2004

Serif will provide them free - just ignore the blandishings to upgrade them (they are previous versions but still work well).

Ulead's offerings are good, along with ArcSoft and similar.

But PC Advisor has had quite a number of such programs on its cover disks so, if you have kept them, have a look.

Pesala 14:52 02 Feb 2004

Photoplus 5.5 and DrawPlus 4.0 from click here

For cropping and converting images: Irfan View click here

Advice on different formats: click here

From your question it sounds like you need to save as a GIF image for a result like this click here with no background.

GIF images do not suffer from the blurring that JPG images do but are limited to 256 colours. JPG images can be improved by not compressing them so much. A quality setting of 75 in Irfan View is excellent. Best of all are PNG (Portable Network Graphics) which have 24-bit colour, and variable transparency.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?