What's the best method of direct dial up access?

Blank Reg 23:13 30 May 2007

Hello All,

I have a project to complete but I am a little rusty on dial up connections. I have two identical machines running XP Pro both are equipped with an PCI V90 56k modem for communication via the phone line. One is located in the UK and the other abroad. International phone call costs are not an issue as amount of data transfer would be very low bandwidth indeed (short phone calls) and my only limitation is I cannot use a internet solution like gotomypc it must be a direct dial in for security reasons.

The goal I have to achieve is to directly dial into the remote machine abroad run some programs on that machine and collect the text files that the programs generate.

It would be nice to see the remote desktop and remote desktop appears to be the right path but I am a little unsure of how to best execute this.

Alternatively I thought of creating a small web server that allows me access to an ASP web site on the remote machine much like a personal web (which would enable me to add an additional layer of security via an ASP login page) and I could control my software and devices via an ASP web interface.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

wiz-king 16:25 02 Jun 2007

You could try the simple solution ou useing a program like 'PC anywhere' click here it would be slow on dial-up.
Remote desktop will only be an option if you have fixed IP addresses at both ends.

Blank Reg 11:58 03 Jun 2007

Thanks wiz-king, the fixed IP required at both ends would have tripped me up.

setecio 16:03 03 Jun 2007

This receives favourable reviews
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?