What's the best FREE antivirus software...?

Murray 01:30 03 Apr 2003

In a field which is rapidly changing (I remember the days when the idea of updating your virus scanner more than twice a year was considered fussy) it would be interesting to know which virus scanner people regard as the best, in terms of performance, ease of use, features, price, etc.

I have used AVG for ayears and it has saved me on quite a few occasions.

I know there are many free ones out there, some obviouly better than others, what do you think?

have there been any (respectable) tests carried out?

monkeyshine 01:41 03 Apr 2003

Stick with AVG, but DiesSe will probably recommend Nod32 (not free)

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:51 03 Apr 2003

I dont think you can beat AVG (personally).

Terrahawk 02:23 03 Apr 2003

AVG is probably the best of the freebies but personally i prefer Norton

roversfan 02:27 03 Apr 2003

its got to be avg

DieSse 09:04 03 Apr 2003

(not to disappoint anyone!!) - my one main point about AV protection is that only the best is sensible. IMHO a few €s a year is nothing compared with protection. By the best, it has to mean the highest chance of detecting any virus likely to be incoming - and how to discover this is to run rigoruu tests.

For test results - see click here

Amongst those with 100% pass rates, the acknowldged fastest scanner is NOD32 (click here), so to mind mind the decision is fairly straightforward. And that's why I always recommend it!

Belatucadrus 10:22 03 Apr 2003

According to the test results Avast4 from Alwil is the best freebie, it's not widely distributed on cover CDs so isn't as well known. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone