Whats the best backup software??.

Daiol 21:52 05 Jul 2010

I'm running windows xp pro,And looking for a good backup software that will run in the backround and do an auto backup every day or weekly etc,Without me doing it manually I have an external hdd but its a pain sometimes to remeber the backup.
I'm willing to purchase one,but it must be pritty straight forward as I'm not the best with techi stuff,been looking at Acronis what will that do will it do what i want or will I have to remind it now and again.
Any help please.d.

sunnystaines 21:53 05 Jul 2010

you have a choice of

Acronis

norton ghost

macrium reflect

all do a good job

Daiol 21:58 05 Jul 2010

Hi that was a quick reply,can you elaborate a little further on the acronis if possible please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 05 Jul 2010
  john bunyan 22:22 05 Jul 2010

Definitely Acronis

mooly 08:15 06 Jul 2010

Acronis every time.

Daiol 08:26 06 Jul 2010

Thanks all for the info,& yes I think its gonna be Acronis.Just one question I have an external 320gb hdd but its not mains powered its just plug into usb,Would that be okay or it it worth getting a mains powered hdd?
Thanks.

mgmcc 08:54 06 Jul 2010

I have two "portable" USB 2.0 drives powered by the USB port and use these regularly to back up (and occasionally "restore") using Acronis True Image. Your external drive should be fine.

Daiol 09:12 06 Jul 2010

Thanks all very much for the info supplied and of course your dedicated help on this forum.
A big Thanks,daiol.

Daiol 20:51 07 Jul 2010

Well I have ordered acronis true image 2010 from amazon,will be with my very soon.
Now regarding operating this method is it simple enough,Can anyone please put me on the correct path do a full backup then maybe a weeky backup etc.Any help please.
daio.

woodchip 21:47 07 Jul 2010

First thing you need to do is create a Image of the OS Partition to the External drive if it will do it. I normally create a Image to Partition on internal drive the copy or move it to the External drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?