What's this?

  Diodorus Siculus 22:27 14 Mar 2004

Two laptops that I have purchased recenctly have come with a metal block (?) to be put around the modem cable. Any idea what it is for?

  powerless 22:28 14 Mar 2004

Ferrite core?

  Diodorus Siculus 22:31 14 Mar 2004

Powerless - maybe, but what for?

  Gaz 25 22:53 14 Mar 2004

Yep its a Ferrite core!

Normally used for RFI suppression.

  Gaz 25 22:57 14 Mar 2004

And it also prevents interferance, Electro Magnetic Interference. Ferrite cores should ALWAYS be affixed to the power cord or whatever, since if it isnt it violates the EU laws and safety on EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) and RFI (Radio Frequency Interferance)

  Gaz 25 22:59 14 Mar 2004

To explain it in english it suppresses interferance that may make the product cause undesired or harmful operation, thus so not to violate any laws a suppressor, Ferrite core is attached.

  gudgulf 22:59 14 Mar 2004

Ferrite rings are to reduce rf(radio frequency) interference--these are built in to many connecting leads but can be added as extras to many devices which may be rf sensitive. Cables can be effective aerials and the performance of a number of electronic device may be affected if these high frequency signals are fed into these.

Apart from pc's and game consols ,hifi devices such as cd players are examples.

  bloo meeny 23:05 14 Mar 2004
  Diodorus Siculus 07:35 15 Mar 2004

Thanks for all those; now I know!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?