Whatdo I need to play DVDs via my DVD ROM drive

wobblymike 22:02 30 Oct 2003

I have just fitted a DVD ROM drive to my PC (running XP Pro) I understand I need some DVD software before I can play a DVD. Can anyone advise me what I need and is it available for download or do I have to buy it commercially. Thanks
Mike

RJKnight 22:07 30 Oct 2003

You're in need of a DVD Decoder. There is such a program available for Windows Media Player but I've had incredible trouble locating it so I downloaded the trial of DirectDVD.

The program looks good but it needs to be purchased to be of any use as the trial only allows 5 minutes of playback. It's worth getting the trial anyway to see if you like the program.

Ciaran

dfghjkl 22:11 30 Oct 2003

i got "power dvd" with my dvd player but it was packaged as "free software" i would recomend it it also allows you to use windows media player and real player to view dvd,s.i am sure i have seen it as a free download,maybe from download.com or even the power dvd web site,i have also seen software on a magazine freebie.i am sure google will throw up some suggestions.

Proxy Worm 22:18 30 Oct 2003

You need a programme to run it of, I would reccomend Power DVD or WINDVD player. There are free ones like click here. Look through that list or pay for one.

wobblymike 22:33 30 Oct 2003

gentlemen

thank you very much indeed I have found a copy of power dvd on e bay I will try and get it. Thanks again
Mike

keenan 22:35 30 Oct 2003

Power dvd click here scroll down or click here for a free one.hav,nt used it personally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?