Hi

what is a windows xp OEM edition cd.

is it like " windows xp upgrade or install edition for all pc's"

or is it like

"windows xp home install or upgrade for dell etc

thanks

Ben

SG Atlantis® 20:50 12 Aug 2006

It's a non transferable full copy of XP usually provided by system builders (like Dell). It has no proper support from MS apart from the KB and auto updates.

rdave13 20:50 12 Aug 2006

Windows xp OEM cd is your operating system disk ONLY for your pc. You can use it to repair or reinstall windows on your specific pc only.

rdave13 20:51 12 Aug 2006

Snap!

SG Atlantis® 20:51 12 Aug 2006

KB = knowledge base. A complete directory of possible faults, work arounds and help from Microsoft, freely available.

futurekid 20:53 12 Aug 2006

So are you saying that it will not work cos The cd was never given to me by the company.

or will it work but it is provided by a third party?

VoG II 20:54 12 Aug 2006

No - see click here

ventanas 21:00 12 Aug 2006

I still find it amazing that people still try this on.

The OEM disc you have would have been intended for, and supplied with, a full computer system. It was for use ONLY on that system, and cannot be installed on any other. If that original computer no longer exists, the disc must be destroyed.

futurekid 21:00 12 Aug 2006

But again are you saying that it will work but the version is powered by a third party.

so this may seem, stupid but like this

say i have a company called winsoft " this is just an example"

and i was a partner with microsoft, they give me cds and say, give this to all your customers as a backup.

so what i am trying to say is like a third party edition. and so cos i have it now and my mates make of pc is different should the full installation work

Do you get my sayings.

SG Atlantis® 21:04 12 Aug 2006

Huh?

The disk should install, though it will NOT activate! If it's preactivated it will fail at the validation.

OEM cannot be transferred as I have said.

ventanas 21:05 12 Aug 2006

ve just seen the earlier post. If I have read that correctly, you already have an illegal installation (Dell CD on a Packard Bell PC)
I don't think you'll get much more help here. Go out and buy a legal retail copy of XP, then we will help you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?