What Websites should a 9 year old use

peter99co 15:18 28 Dec 2010

Considering over a million children do not have internet access. Does a list exist to help a child get the BEST from a computer if they have one?

I am refering to EDUCATION not GAMES, though some good sites do educate via a game format.

I would not like to think that giving free access to a child is the best option. I would prefer to create a Favorites List tailored to the needs of a child.

Forum Editor 15:47 28 Dec 2010

click here

It's worth remembering that although you can probably control a 9-year old child's use of the internet to a large extent you will not be able to do so for very long. Children very rapidly learn how to circumvent parental controls - usually by picking things up from other children at school.

An average child of 10 or eleven years of age will learn very rapidly, and will quickly be able to run rings around the average parent when it comes to computer literacy. Children are intensely curious, and telling them that certain things are forbidden is likely to stimulate that curiosity even further. It's a bit of a losing battle as far as all but the very strictest parents are concerned.

Sometimes I'm asked to sort out sluggish computers in the homes of clients and colleagues, and if children are using the machines I can almost guarantee that I'll find evidence of surfing activities which wouldn't entirely please the parents.

peter99co 16:02 28 Dec 2010

Thanks for the ink FE.

peter99co 16:25 28 Dec 2010

click here

Amazing what can be found but to a child can be a minefield.

peter99co 16:37 28 Dec 2010

What I meant was, searching can be a minefield.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?