What USB Card Reader and CF Card Should I Purchase

naissonej 11:25 09 Apr 2007

Hi,

My USB Card Reader has ceased to function so I need to acquire a new one plus another compact flash card.

The market is flooded with products and they have evolved considerably since I purchased these items 4 years ago so not being knowledgeable about these things I have no idea what to buy, I take photographs on a daily basis so a card which will take a lot of shots would be great.

I've just been looking at this SanDisk Ultra® II SD™ Plus USB 512MB which would mean I wouldn't require a card reader what do you think? and would it be compatible with my USB ports please

I run a Windows XP Packard Bell Laptop, my camera is a Nikon Coolpix2100

ICF 12:37 09 Apr 2007

You are confusing me you said compact flash cards then you say you are looking at (SD)Secure Digital cards .They are not the same thing

This is a good place for Flash memory click here

naissonej 13:11 09 Apr 2007

Hi,

My present card is a San Disk 64 MB Compact Flash which was purchased 4 years ago, I only require a card that is suitable for taking photographs and is compatible with my digital camera. I've already explained that I don't understand this subject which is why I've entered the beginners forum if you let me know what I actually require for my needs I would be grateful.

Totally-braindead 14:47 09 Apr 2007

A CF Compactflash card is different from a SD Secure Digital card. They do the same job but are completely different sizes.
If as you state you have a Compactflash card then that is what you need, go to 7dayshop as has been suggested and buy the Compactflash card you wish.
The card you mention is a SD card and as I said it is a different size, it will not fit. You need a Compactflash memory card.

They also sell cheap readers.

anchor 15:20 09 Apr 2007

I have checked out your camera and it DOES use a Compact Flash card.

7Dayshop have a wide range or cards, and quite a number of USB readers available:

click here

Delivery is £3.95 per order.

pj123 15:38 09 Apr 2007

The Nikon Coolpix 2100 only takes Compact Flash Type 1 cards.

You also need to check your camera manual as many cameras will only take up to a certain size memory card. So, (for example) buying a 1gb CF1 card may not work if your camera only accepts up to 512mb cards.

click here

for some competitive prices.

anchor 16:23 09 Apr 2007

According to Crucial, (a well respected memory supplier), you can use their 1Gb, 2Gb, or even 4Gb cards.

click here

naissonej 11:31 10 Apr 2007

Hi,

I checked my camera manual and it accepts 1GB compactflash cards, I've now purchased everything from the 7dayshop.com who seem to be far cheaper than anyone else.

Many thanks for everyone's input, it's very much appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017