What type of graphics to use.

woody 13:19 08 May 2004

I am in the process of designing a site which will be mainly graphics/photos of a city.

There will be an index of "thumbnails" (text page) pointing to each graphic of say 4kb or 5kb.
On this same (text page) will be an index of bigger graphics - up to 1mb each, plus a link to a page with all the "thumbnails" as one download.

This will give viewers a choice of how much time they have to (waste) spend on line.
One thumbnail 5kb or page of thumbnails 500kb or one full size photo 1mb.

What is the best format (jpeg/gif etc) for thumbnails and is it different for the big graphics?
Do you think my choice of size is about right or should the thumbnails and/or large photo should be smaller?
I know a lot of people still use the dialup so small is beautiful.

Patr100 15:20 08 May 2004

Yes, 1Mb is far far too big for a web graphic and will take ages to load, especially on 56K dialup by which time your visitors will probably have gone elsewhere.

AcidBurn7uk 15:50 08 May 2004

For photos I would definitly go for jpeg!

slowhand_1000 16:08 08 May 2004

A 75 x 75 thumbnail should be around 2-3kb.

The larger images need to be saved at no more than 75dpi (Screen res) So if the jpg is 1mb it must be very large in size (as in mm's)

640 x 480 images without any optimization are about 180kb. With optimization you could get it down a lot smaller without any noticable reduction in quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?