What is taking up all my disc space??

Sammehrlich 02:16 13 Apr 2009

Hi, I have a relatively new sony viao. My biggest programs/files I have installed on it is 8GB of itunes & 6GB worth of photos. I am supposed to have 179GB of hard drive..........I have LESS than 1GB free!! I have searched & searched for files??? I can be browsing the internet & not using anything else & this figure changes?! On start up I check & it can say I have 4GB free of 179GB.......an hour later I will get all the usual 'low disc space' pop ups & there is less than 1GB??!

Someone suggested that I may have a rogue file.....but how do I identify it if this is the case? I'm not convinced it is this......but what else could be happening?

There is no restrictions on user accounts & file space available.

Bob The Blob 05:19 13 Apr 2009

Run system tools/disk cleanup and choose "more options" and "clean up system restore and shadow copies".
This will delete all but the most recent restore point and usually claims back a lot more free space.

radi8or 06:23 13 Apr 2009

Sammehrlich,

Try click here it will show you all the folders and files on your drive and how much space they take up and it's free.

Sammehrlich 02:25 14 Apr 2009

Hi,

Thankyou :)

'Bob'.....I did do this & it gave me back 25GB! I still don't have what I think I should have though?!

'radi8or'.....I will try this too, thanks for the link.

Sammehrlich 02:56 14 Apr 2009

Hi, I've discovered by using that great little link above that ProgramData/Symantec/Backup is using 113GB of space!! How can this be correct & why is it? I have online data storage which my Norton 360 uses to backup?

Can I just delete this file? All the other subfolders within Symantec are listed but have nothing in them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?