What Sound Card

I have on board sound but I want to buy a soundcard so I can buy some really good speakers but what should I be looking for? Is it the same rule of thumb as buying a graphics card? Any info and some recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

SANAP 18:06 22 Feb 2004

look at creative, they seem to be everywhere.

creative.com

sanap

What does 2.1, 3.1, 4.1 etc. mean? Is the higher the number the better the sound. Also do I have to make sure the soundcard is compatible with my motherboard or are they universal?

clayton 20:17 22 Feb 2004

click here

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

click here

Pikachu 20:28 22 Feb 2004

Creative are good ive purchased them everytime ive upgraded. The Audigy 2 cards by Creative are the best choice. The bottom link provided by clayton gives detail for the card

As for what 2.1, 4.1, etc means the number of speakers. For instance if you purcahse 4.1 you will get 4 speakers and a woofer which counts as the .1 The higher the number does not determine quality although you get more smaller speakers. Overclockers have nice set of speakers check here click here and they have number of soundcards by Hercules, Creative and Terratec click here

Paranoid Android 21:17 22 Feb 2004

Price range ?

Marvin

dfghjkl 23:31 22 Feb 2004

creative soundblaster live 5.1 (2 x stereo,one set for front,one set for rear one speaker for front centre and a sub)5.1 = 5 satelite speakers and a sub for base,used mainly for games and with the right 5.1 software will play dvd,s in cinema sound. sound card £25.speakers from £30 upwards,if you mainly play music you should consider 2.1.we need to know price range and usage.peter.

It is mainly music and I am looking to spend up to £150 which will include soundcard and wireless speakers, if possible for that price.

Jester2K 18:44 23 Feb 2004

Does anyone do these yet?

Diodorus Siculus 18:48 23 Feb 2004

wireless speakers - yes, I saw some reviewed in PCPro recently; poor enough according to the review.

Okay, if not can someone recommend a sound card and speakers (in black) for this amount of money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?