What Software to transfer from XP to Windows 7

julius44 19:32 18 Dec 2010

Hello and good evening, to u all on this lovely snowy day!!. I have an 5 and a half year old desktop which runs windows XP SP3, and i'm looking to get a brand new desktop..hopefully in the sale and BEFORE the VAT goes up on January the 4th next year.
I need 2 bits of advice please. Firstly as my current desktop Dell Dimension 5150 has lasted me nearly 6 yrs, i'm looking for something that will last me for another 4-6 yrs also. my budget is around £450-500, must be Intel i3 at leat 400-500Gb hard drive, at least 3gb RAM, 4 would be great, loads of usb ports....1/2 HDMI ports would be great,....it should also come with a nice TFT monitor(dont wanna buy seperately), HDMI graphics card, and any bits please would be a bonus. Also do i need a 32 bit or 64 bit machine please??

2nd Query: As i'm moving from an XP to a windows 7 machine, is there ANY kind of easy-to-use software, that allows to to tranfer ALL my files, software very easily to my the new windows desktop?? My main license is my kaspesky 2011 which runs until Sept 2011, and i wanna tranfer this to the new desktop as well.

johnnyrocker 19:40 18 Dec 2010

i would have thought the windows file transfer wizard could do most of this except programmes etc which would need installing from scratch.

johnny

iscanut 19:44 18 Dec 2010

Have a look at this click here

iscanut 11:37 24 Dec 2010

Sorted this out yet ?

john bunyan 13:36 24 Dec 2010

What I did was to copy all my data (My documents etc) plus Favourites etc to a USB HD. You cold use a mirror image file such as (free) Freefilesynch).
On the new PC I partitioned the main drive to 100 Gig for Programmes, the balance for data (old "my documents" folder - nusic, photos etc etc)
Then you have to install programmes from original discs on the Programmes partition - programme files cannot simply be copied. If you have some downloaded ones you cold put them on a cd to install.
Then you can copy the "My Documents" folder with all your data from the usb hd to the new pc's data partition (or to the main drive if you decide not to partition), either by normal copying or using the Freefilesynch.
Do look up on Google the method of saving and tranfering eMail from your existing PC as W7 does not allow Outlook Express (I used Office Outlook, but I think Windows Live Mail is free)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?