What sockets on laptop?

Whiteadder310556 20:56 02 Aug 2008

Hi

Currently I have a desktop computer, but it's time to upgrade to laptop. But I would like to keep the monior, keyboard, speakers, etc, so I could use it at home aswell. So what sockets should I be looking for on a laptop? I've even been considering a mini laptop.

regards

Ditch999 21:25 02 Aug 2008

Some people would say going from a desktop to a laptop was a downgrade!

If your keyboard and mouse are PS2 then not too many laptops support that socket, but they (kb+m) may be USB and most laptops have at least 3 USB sockets (you do know that a laptop has a built in keyboard and a touchpad that is used as a mouse?)
You also get a 15" or 17" lcd screen on a laptop but if you want to use your old monitor then you will need a VGA socket on the laptop
All laptops have an audio out 3.5mm socket for speakers (which are also built in to a laptop)

Whiteadder310556 22:27 02 Aug 2008

Thanks for the reply.

"Some people would say going from a desktop to a laptop was a downgrade!"

But not if you know how old my desktop is! Anyhow I want to go mobile with the internet and need an upgrade! But but my current monitor is pretty good so would like to keep that, even if it is CRT.

woodchip 23:49 02 Aug 2008

try to get a laptop with as many ports as you can, 4 USB2 and at Least one Firwire, S/Video, and at least one PS/2 for mouse but I use a wireless on my Laptop, got disgruntled with broken wire, Parallel ports are tending to be a thing of the past as are Serial ports Also a PSMCIA or new PCIE slot for Cards, a Memory card reader if you can that reads at least SD cards

woodchip 23:50 02 Aug 2008

Also a USB floppy drive may come in handy, I bought a Sony one

Widow's Son 13:35 03 Aug 2008

And I would suspect that you may end up not bothering to connect it up! Included speakers range from not bad to very bad so you may well end up connecting your speakers & nothing else. It may be a better use of your existing kit to buy a cheap base only system along with the laptop.

Whiteadder310556 16:33 03 Aug 2008

Thanks for the replies. I've been down to the local superstore to see what's on offer. I was suprised to see some, according to the data card next to them, that they are not suitable for video editing. Now I do not do a great deal but it is something I dabble in and seen as my curent ancient desktop is OK I would have thought that a modern, even, budgetlaptop would be ok.

dermot-titus 19:42 03 Aug 2008

"I dabble in and seen as my curent ancient desktop is OK I would have thought that a modern, even, budgetlaptop would be ok."

but these machines will use vista and that needs a lot of prossessing power and a lot of memory just to run iot. You should be looking at a 2gzh dual core prossesser and 2gb of mamory at the least to run vista smoothley.

dermot-titus 19:43 03 Aug 2008

erm

memory. lol

Whiteadder310556 14:23 04 Aug 2008

Thanks for the replies they have really helped come to conclusion!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?