What size hard drive can my PC handle?

rob_absalom 08:43 05 Mar 2003

Hi all,

I posted on here yesterday to ask about this and now have some more info. I was told by someone that if I found out the type of motherboard I had, and the bios version, I could find out what the maximum sixe hard drive i could upgrade to.

well I ran that AIDA32 program as recommended when i went home and I've got the details of motherboard and bios. What do I do now? any ideas where I look on the web to find these details out?

I have the report of my system as a html file so if anyone wants me to email it to them, if they think they can help, I would be glad to.

Please let me know

Cheers

Rob

€dstow 08:49 05 Mar 2003

In the first instance, I would go the your motherboard manufacturer's website and find out from there.

Failing that, post details of the board and BIOS version together with your operating system on here and someone expert will give suggestions.

€d

rob_absalom 09:24 05 Mar 2003

Cheers Ed. I'll take a look and see if I can work it out. If at all possible I don't want to upgrade my bios (never done it before) and have heard if it goes wrong your stuffed!

€dstow 10:37 05 Mar 2003

You are stuffed if it goes wrong!!

Don't do it unless you are absolutely desperate and even then, think twice about it.

Regarding your motherboard, if you can't work it out, come back here and there is sure to someone that knows (it won't be me!)

€d

rob_absalom 10:43 05 Mar 2003

I can't seem to find the info I need. I've put the details of my mother board and bios below, if anyone can shed any light on the maximum size hard drive i can install I would be very grateful.

Motherboard:

CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Tyan S1857S Trinity 371 (BX) (1 ISA, 6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Natoma 82440BX
System Memory 384 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (07/15/95)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
-------------------------------------------------
BIOS Properties:
Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
Version 063100
Release Date 07/15/95
Size 256 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD
Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, AGP, USB
-----------------------------------------------

I haven't got a clue what any of that means, hopefully one of you gus might!

rob_absalom 12:28 05 Mar 2003

come on guys I'm desperate here!

Can anyone at least tell me how to go about finding this info out? I had no luck on the motherboard website, maybe i wasn't looking in the right place.

MAJ 13:11 05 Mar 2003

Hi Rob, I have looked around and I can't seem to find anything on the Tyan site concerning what size drive your specific m/b S1857S will support. I did find a BIOS update click here. If you go to Support > Bios Support > How to Flash your BIOS, it will tell you how to flash your BIOS, if you really want to go that way, personally I wouldn't advise it.

You could go here, click here choose option 1, they will tell you for sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?