What should I upgrade on my computer to make it run faster?

mynamesbrad 19:52 05 Jan 2014

Hello, I have bought a computer in the last 12 months, it was running very quickly when I purchased it but has decided to slow down for an unknown reason, I will be upgrading it but I'm not sure what to upgrade or if there is anything else I can do to speed it up. My specs are; GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Intel core i7 3770, 12gb ram, a 2 terabyte hard drive and I'm using windows 7. Any help appreciated, thanks!

woodchip 20:01 05 Jan 2014

It may be Updates or a Virus Malaware etc thats slowed it down

woodchip 20:02 05 Jan 2014

Why not try running a Restore point back to a old date

mynamesbrad 20:09 05 Jan 2014

That would be a good idea, but with all the games and software I have installed, it takes an internet connection like mine about a week to install it all. I have run security checks with Norton 360 and it picks up nothing either. It takes around 30 seconds to start up when it used to take about 10.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:13 05 Jan 2014

Some easy tweaks and maintenance to try here.

wee eddie 21:13 05 Jan 2014

You have a system that most of us would give our eye teeth for. My guess is that your HD has become impossibly cluttered and half of your programs are opening at Startup. Housecleaning world be my solution and a defrag

mynamesbrad 21:28 05 Jan 2014

It did take me over a year to save up for, I'm running a defrag now and have done everything else in the link "Mr Mistoffelees" sent me, hopefully it will sort it out.

wee eddie 23:14 05 Jan 2014

First Defrag, , if it has not been done for a while, can be very time consuming. It can often be an overnight job.

It is best left to get on without interruption

NortonSupport 16:14 06 Jan 2014

Hello,

Is your computer slow only at startup? Does it happen when you browse the Internet?

Please run a scan using the free Norton Power Eraser tool: click here us see if it detects anything.

Thanks!

Vineeth Norton Support

Let

spuds 16:28 06 Jan 2014

I downloaded Norton Power Eraser about 2 hours ago, and just run a scan and fix, in the hope that it will find MySearchdial that's embedded somewhere in one of my computer's.

Be interesting to see if mynamesbrad gives the Norton product a try, and what their results are on the product?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?