What should I look at to get an up to date Laptop?

master archer 09:55 25 Jan 2005

Hi
I am looking to replace my 15" with a 17" Laptop, I favour the Sony Vaio 17" at the moment but a bit confused over the proccessor available, I see that they are either 1.7 or 1.8 where as some other makes are offering 3.0 and 3.2 proccessors, why are is there so much diffence in proccessor size.
What should I be looking at to get an up to date Laptop?

Magik ®© 10:26 25 Jan 2005

In the pca review they rated the Rock Quaddra Ti the best laptop money can buy, and they were not wrong..so if you want a good one, thats the one to get, it does all you will ever need..and 3 year warranty....

brambles 12:23 25 Jan 2005

Dell do a Inspiron 9200 Centrino Pentium M 1.8 Ghz. which is very good.

I'm not an expert but the higher rate 3 & 3.2 Ghz. you mention are for Intel Pentium 4 processors.

The 1.7 & 1.8 Mhz. are the Centrino Pentium M which I understand are the best for mobiles.

Someone will help me out here but I think a Centrino 1.8 Mhz. is better than a Pentium 4....

Brambles

wiz-king 13:23 25 Jan 2005

Anything in the computer market is out of date by the time that you have made up your mind to buy it. Just choose one for the job in hand; word processing,games or video editing. They all need a different design -- and eat batteries to a different degree, if it eats batteries fast that means heat so your lap will get cooked.

toni b 15:01 25 Jan 2005

Laptop processors - the reason you may be confused about the processors is because the larger processors are probably desktop chips found in most home systems and the lower chips have energy saving technology specifically for mobile devices, but due to the size of the desired laptop there is sufficent space to incorporate a desktop chip.I use a hp 7010 us which is of the 17" variety and it has 2.8ghz chip inside ,due to the power consumption of the chip and heat generated the fan is continiously on and when I play games it is like a hair dryer.If I were to buy another laptop i would go for a minimum spec of 1.8 mobile processor or above (I believe 2.6 is the highest for a mobile chip) minimum 512 ram but if you can get more at purchase do so, as if you do buy more eg 512 stick then you will have to remove one stick to allow foor the upgrade and so left with a redundant stick.40gb hd or if you do lots of music or picture achiving then at least 60 gb. USB
2.0 ports(3 at least)once you start connecting you printer and stuff your soon realise 2 was not enough, and if possible a firewire port, if you play games or do any graphics editing then a dedicated graphics card so it does not share the system memory!Also a least a DVD drive or a combo drive, one that will allow you to back up on removable media such as cd or if your luck a dvd

ARomeo 16:07 25 Jan 2005

I have spent the last six months researching laptops specifically so hopefully I can be of help...

First things first. They very day you buy it, something better will come out the next day. Thats the nature of the computing industry

It all really depends on what you will use the laptop to do most and then list all the activities in order of preference. You say you want a 17" laptop so that might indicate you want to use it for multimedia entertainment etc or you want to view wide spreadsheets.

The processors issue should be straightforward. Pentium 4 processors mean the laptop runs very hot, the fan is constantly whirring and they tend to be heavy, but will compete well with desktops for power hungry applications. Centrino M processors mean the laptop will almost always be much thinner therefore lighter but means the processor runs at an appropriate slow speed when doing light tasks therefore saving battery life and heat emission, AND NOISE but ramps up the speed when doing something like video editing.

How many peripherals do you have? Printer, Scanner, External Hard Drive, cordless mouse, If it's the whole gamut then you'll probably need at least three USB ports. Connectivity can be a crucial thing because you don't know what you might want to connect the laptop with later

The hard drive issue is quite important. How much data do you have on your current machine. To try to match a desktop you really need no less than 80GB. Few laptops even now come with this as standard.

Do you want connection between the laptop and TV? Then you need one with a TV out conection...goodness the list can go on and on.

Here's what I did. I looked up the most expensive brand of all the major players ( I have now bought a 17" laptop). I listed the facilities of each and tried to list the absolute necessities and the "nice to have" category. I sort of looked at the realative cost....I'm bad with money. Then I went for the kill.

Intentionally I won't say what I bought but even with the one I have there is one facility it did not have.

Looking back at all the computers I've used over the years, I've tended to use only one or two facilities frequently and the others rarely or never. In retrospect, I could have always done with a much cheaper machine.

Having said all that, if it's a 17" you are definitely after, the 17" target a specific market (gaming and multimedia types) and will all tend to have very similar facilities so it shouldn't be too hard to compare them.

The last consideration hopefully will be branding and styling. I was "seduced" by a particular brand and style but please whatever you do don't put this consideration too high because in some ways I'm regretting it. The bundled software with my machine was the final killer selling point. Hope I haven't gone on too long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?