What is scaner all about?

Okc 03:15 22 Sep 2003

I have read and watched series of adverts on scaner but I am shamefully ignorant of it.
Could folks enlighten me on its uses and capabilities, please?

-pops- 06:22 22 Sep 2003

? Can you explain a little more what you mean by "scaner"? Do you mean scanner?

If you do mean scanner, it is a device for making an electronic image of a picture or printed document (usually) which can then be displayed on your computer screen.

There are systems that can "read" printed text and translate it into editable form for further processing on a word processor.

Sorry if I've misunderstood. If I have, please redefine your enquiry.

Stuartli 09:09 22 Sep 2003

A scanner, if this is what is meant, converts a photograph, book page or even, in some instances, a 3D image into a digital file, which can then be manipulated using appropriate software in a variety of ways.

In the case of text, an optical character recognition (OCR) program is used and the pages can then be stored in file form or edited in a word processing program. It saves a lot of time typing out text if this is needed for any reason.

You can buy basic flatbed scanners from around £30-£35 upwards - film scanners, usually for 35mm negatives, are much more expensive as the resolution requirements are very much higher.

-pops- 09:13 22 Sep 2003

It's not me that's asking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?