what router for vista?

spook08 17:51 29 Apr 2008

hi, just asking a question before having to ask a techie at p.c world!
I have a p.c on windows xp, a sagem modem using tiscali broadband and am getting a laptop which will have windows vista and wi-fi.

So my 1st question is- if i am right in thinking that is! that you connect the router to the modem to connect to your network, but the p.c being on xp and the laptop on vista will this not clash....and not work on the modem?

And 2nd question- i have seen what are called 'modem routers' 2-in-1 would this solve the problem, meaning you don't have to connect the router to the modem and can connect somewhere else away from the p.c/modem?

And finally- any suggestions if this is the case as to what modem routers work with vista? thanks ahead to any replies on this!

iscanut 18:50 29 Apr 2008

Don't know if it helps, but my desktop, running Win XP sp2 has been connected to a modem router ( Netgear DG834G) for some time. I recently purchased a laptop running Vista. The laptop connected straight away wirelessly and if I attached via the ethernet cable, it also connected straight away, with nothing needed to be done by me.

Quiller. 18:53 29 Apr 2008

All you want is a ADSL modem router.

the ADSL modem router will need two inputs

1) a mains supply

2) connection to the phone line via a filter that comes with the modem router.

You can then configure the router to always be connected to the internet. You can then connect the XP and Vista machine to the router either via wire or wirelessly.

I use this one for our XP, MAC OS and Vista machines.
click here

spook08 09:15 30 Apr 2008

may give that one a go

spook08 09:18 30 Apr 2008

may give that one a go, looks like this one here.
click here#

spook08 09:21 30 Apr 2008

........that i don't need to use the sagem modem on the p.c that came with tiscali broadband and can swap it for the ADSL router modem and then connect wirelessly on the laptop?

Quiller. 17:22 30 Apr 2008

does that mean......

........that i don't need to use the sagem modem on the p.c that came with tiscali broadband and can swap it for the ADSL router modem and then connect wirelessly on the laptop?

yes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?