What router is right for me

jontygee 12:41 25 Aug 2007

I have virgin cable broadband L which is up to 4mb download. I have just bought a dell vostro 1500 with T7300 Core 2 duo processor. I have a motorola sb4200 modem.

I now want to go wireless but am confused as to which router to get. I know I need one compatible with virgin cable, but which one. I have a 3 bedroom semi but have had a recent extension so some metal girders are built near where the router will be kept.

I have done some research but am confused as to whether I need a G, a MIMO or indeed an N router and if I buy one of the top range ones am I wasting my money as I don't understand whether my laptop and PC or broadband speed will negate the speed of the router?

I have looked at Netgear rangemax or even D-Link DIR-635 RangeBooster N 650 Router

Any help gratefully received

setecio 16:11 25 Aug 2007

If you want the benefits of anything beyong ordinary g systems then you will need to buy the appropriate USB adapter for both PC and laptop. I'd recommen the Netgear Rangemax WPN824 and WPN111. If you only want g then the WGR614.

jontygee 18:18 25 Aug 2007

I don't understand why I would need a USB adaptor. Doesn't the router come with an ethernet cable which would then plug into my modem? Why then would I need a USB adapter for anything above a g?

setecio 21:44 25 Aug 2007

I thought you wanted wireless ... the USB would only be if you wanted turbo or rangemax wireless on your laptop. You don't need it if the laptop has built in 'g' wireless and you don't want turbo or rangemax. The desktop can, as you say connect by ethernet.

jontygee 13:04 26 Aug 2007

Sorry I am being totally thick here but I was told that even with a wireless router, I would have to connect the router to my modem via an ethernet cable. Is that correct, or would I only have do to that with a wired router? Reason I ask is that the ethernet port on the back of my modem is knackered so I currently have my pc connected to the modem via usb.

So If I buy a wireless router, will I need any connections between router and modem, and modem and PC and laptop (my laptop is wireless enabled). I have looked at the wireless spec and it does say an ethernet cable is provided so what two devices does that connect??

setecio 15:19 26 Aug 2007

Yes you wil need to connect it to the cable modem via ethernet, you could also connect the pc by ethernet to the wireless router as they usually have 4 wired ports as well, and then connect the laptop wirelessly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?