What is a reasonable restart time?

Ray5776 19:44 03 Jun 2006

I realize that this is a bit of a vague question as it depends on so many things, I would just like a guideline.

Pent4 2g/768mem/XPpro/quite a few progs run on startup.

How long from pressing the restart to up and running again?

Any comments please

Ray

Jackcoms 20:06 03 Jun 2006

About 2 minutes in total here. Four users.

If the PC hasn't been shut down or restarted for several days, it takes more time for Windows to shut down all running processes.

Once Windows has actually shut down all processes, it takes about 45 seconds for it to go through the restart/boot-up before getting back to the Welcome screen.

rdave13 20:08 03 Jun 2006

From restarting to being online I can make a cup of coffee! I have many programs on startup, a spyware program runs a quick check just after my desktop loads and many others.Have 15 icons in system tray.

Ray5776 20:18 03 Jun 2006

Thanks, I said I only needed a guideline, so 3 to 4mins is not that slow, just seems like it.

wolfie3000 20:42 03 Jun 2006

Mine takes about 6 minutes but as Rdave13 said alot of people have alot of programs that startup on booting like anti virus and anti spyware programs,

But mine loads up aol and msn messenger too.

If you want to speed up the start up use the msconfig thingy to check and stop some programs that you dont want to run this helps to speed up the restart.

Ray5776 21:00 03 Jun 2006

Thanks for the replies, now getting a "ball park" time as they say.

woodchip 21:02 03 Jun 2006

If programs are running every time you restart that's the problem. You should turn of auto run for these programs and run Manually

Jackcoms 21:19 03 Jun 2006

Makes a very valid point.

I have the minimum number of programs which auto-start, yet I've always thought that my 2 minute re-start time was long and tedious.

But 6 minutes?

Ridiculous ....

Ray5776 21:22 03 Jun 2006

Thanks woodchip,
I need some things to run on startup ie Zone Alarm,
Avast, Spybot and Adaware everything else I am happy to start manually, so how do I do this easily, I have seen other postings "turn off autorun"
Where is it and how do I turn it off for only some programs.

ray

Jackcoms 21:27 03 Jun 2006

Start; Run and type msconfig

Go to the startup tab.

Ray5776 21:35 03 Jun 2006

I suppose 4mins is not really very long and it seems to fit in between the 2min guy and the 6min guy.
It seems I fall within the normal parameters which is what I wanted to know, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?