What processor do I need for basic video editing?

simon911 16:22 22 Jan 2010

I'm looking to buy a laptop for basic home computing, but also do some home video editing - nothing fancy or HD, just using a standard Adobe programme to cut and paste some video.

But I've got no idea what processor speed this will require?

Anyone know if the SU700 1.3GHz on the Samsung X420 will be enough or the T6400 2GHz on the Samsung Q320 or the SU9400 1.4GHz on the Acer Aspire Timeline 4810

very grateful for any help!

citadel 18:25 22 Jan 2010

notebookcheck.net has everything about laptop cpu's with benchmarks

eedcam 19:07 22 Jan 2010

Its not just the processor you need ample HD space and Ram bearing in mind a dv-avi file is 13G/byte for one hour

Woolwell 21:30 22 Jan 2010

eedcam is absolutely correct. I wouldn't consider a hard drive below 500Gb and even that is on the small size. You need to consider back up of the video too.
Personally I don't think that the Acer is suitable.
Much prefer a quad core desktop for this purpose.

ashdav 22:40 22 Jan 2010

Unless you want to spend around a grand on a laptop I'd forget about using one for video processing.
You can do it but you'd have to leave it running overnight to do one file.
Video processing is all about number crunching which means a fast CPU and laptops don't have them.

woodchip 22:45 22 Jan 2010

CPU I have used a 1600+ Athlon

As above you need a Large NTFS partition to save over 4.4 gig files

stlucia 08:56 23 Jan 2010

I believe there's a difference between what you need, and what is optimum, when you're talking about processor: I (and presumably, many others) used Pinnacle and other similar video editors to process our raw footage when a 600MHz Athlon was state-of-the-art. Downloading, playback and editing were fine, but it took me up to 8 hours to render about half an hour's worth. I haven't done any editing for a while, but I presume my present PC will do everything the same, except that the rendering time will be significantly reduced.

As for HDD size, my raw .avi files are about 12GB for one hour, but individual files need to be kept below 4GB if your HDD isn't in NTFS format. The rendered MPEG files, obviously, are much smaller because they can be burned onto a DVD. So, given the price and availability of HDDs these days, 500GB would be a nice size to have, and would give plenty of space for any temporary files the software might make. But, depending on how many videos you have, you could get away with much less space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017