what pci card to go wireless

  charlton1969 18:31 08 Nov 2009

I have a fujitsu scaleo 600 (windows xp) that i want to upgrade for wireless internet use.I think its a pci card that i need.Can anyone tell me exactly which one.

Thank you.

  ambra4 23:15 08 Nov 2009

Before one can say what type of wireless card or wireless system to get, it would also help if we

knew the type of Broadband router that you are using and the distance that the desktop would be

from the wireless router

The make and model # of the router

“I want to upgrade for wireless Internet use”

Going wireless on a desktop from a hard wire connection is not an upgrade but a downgrade

Most persons do not understand the limitation on using a wireless connected desktop computer

compared with a Lan hard wire connection

With a hard wire system the Lan card connected speed is100Mbps

A wireless G system connected speed can verity between 0Mbps -54Mbps depending on the

distance, the amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal, that the computer is from the

wireless router

A standard Wireless G PCI card / USB G Adapter will have a max range about 100m indoors

depending on the amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal, interference from other

wireless devices, cordless phones etc and a max range in open space about 300m with the

possible of drop out and other connection problems

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless G card or USB G adapter is 54Mbps

on older laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

Using a build in normal wireless G card or adapter to connect to a 108Mbps, 125Mbps,

300Mbps, Wireless G / N router will still only connect at 54Mbps

The computer must have a wireless G / N 108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps, PCI card / USB

adapter for each wireless device you want to connect at that speed.

Using a wireless connected computer for router setup is Not recommended at any time and you

must use a hard wire connection if you want to make changes on the wireless router

There is no point in buying a Wireless N PCI Adapter if the router is using a wireless G system

and than complain that your broadband connection speed is slow

  Strawballs 17:18 10 Nov 2009

If you are going down the route of PCI then go for one that has the ariel on an extention lead so you can get it up away from the electrical interference that is generated by the PC itself.

If you dont want to open the case then a USB one will do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?