What PC should I buy?

judyl68 08:32 04 Sep 2010

I am looking to purchase a new PC but am confused as to which one to buy because there are so many of them on the market. I can spend around £700 or thereabouts. I want a fast processor, a quiet fan, DVD or Blueray player (rewriter if poss), at least 1TB hard drive, either 4 or 6gb DDR3 and at least 2 USBs at the front.It needs to be wireless, or have wireless capability. I also want Windows 7 and a good graphics card. A webcam and monitor screen would be an advantage but not absolutely necessary.

I have seen a couple and wanted some advice as to which is the best value for money
These are the ones I've seen and would value someone's opinion who knows what theyre talking about

click here

....is the Akoya P0411 just a fancy toy? Would I just be paying for the touchscreen technology that I probably wont use? I saw a review on CNET that says although its good for what it is,it has the performance of a low grade PC or a medium laptop.

click here

click here

or would I be better having a PC built to my own specs....

Thanks in advance for your help

Forum Editor 12:45 04 Sep 2010

will have a wireless network adapter, and pretty well all of them will come with Windows 7 pre-installed and will have very quiet fans.

The differences arise when you start looking at the processors, the amounts of RAM and hard drive capacities, and the graphics capabilities.

Your specification means that it will probably be better if you configure your own machine with one of the many suppliers out there. Bear in mind that all suppliers are building machines using components that are fairly standard for the industry - it's up to you to do some research and make selections using your own judgement.

Touch-screen technology may look very high-tech in TV cop dramas, but in real life it's not going to set the world on fire - nobody wants to work with a monitor that's covered in greasy fingermarks.

Kevscar1 14:34 04 Sep 2010

You need to decide what you want it for. High end gaming, video editing or is it just internet browsing, word processing etc. Then you can look at what will gve you the best for your money.

AL47 14:43 05 Sep 2010

yes you need to say what you want it for, 700 wont do everything

judyl68 19:31 05 Sep 2010

I just want it for day to day internet browsing, downloading/uploading photos, watching You Tube word processing etc...not for gaming (unless you class Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook...lol)

AL47 00:06 06 Sep 2010

you dont need to spend any where near 700 then :)

Kevscar1 07:46 06 Sep 2010

Anyone of these would do you.

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:29 06 Sep 2010

For what it's worth, if I were buying a new PC, this is the one I would get..... click here

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:29 06 Sep 2010

hmmmmm....in fact..........

G

judyl68 08:42 07 Sep 2010

GANDALF <|:-)>

Thanks for taking the time to leave that link, but is there any particular reason why you would choose that one? It has a DVD ReWriter, not Blu-Ray...it only has one 500gb HDD and it is USB 2, not 3....it doesn't appear to be any better than the ones I posted on my original question.
And I don't know what you meant by "hmmmmm....in fact.........."

Judy

AL47 09:20 07 Sep 2010

That is an unusual choice

You maybe should do a build urself

U don't need anything that good at all, just a blu ray drive, and a good monitor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?