What is a parallel install?

Major Disaster 12:52 28 Jul 2005

I am just about to reinstall windows XP Pro on a laptop and was looking for some guides to hgelp me as this is my first time. I found this site click here and was wondering which guide i want. I want to completely start again with this computer, so i want to reformat the drive and install xp a fresh (so basically in the state as if i had just bought it). What option do i want though a Windows XP Pro install from Windows or a Windows XP Pro Parallel Install from windows. Or what? Please explain to me the differences.
Thanks

Legolas 12:56 28 Jul 2005

Im not sure of the difference but you want the Windows XP Pro install from Windows option

Major Disaster 12:59 28 Jul 2005

Thanks, i have a feeling a parallel install might be something to do with dual booting but im not sure. Could someone please confirm or correct this statement please

Legolas 13:00 28 Jul 2005

Yep I,ve just had a closer look at the options on the link you give and you definately want the option I said above. Just follow the instructions as laid out in the guide and it will be easy.

Major Disaster 13:01 28 Jul 2005

Thanks for your help Legolas.

woodchip 13:03 28 Jul 2005

Why not choose clean install when the XP CD starts

Legolas 13:05 28 Jul 2005

I have looked at the paralel instal option and it looks like it is installing another copy of XP in a different folder alongside an existing copy of XP

Major Disaster 13:06 28 Jul 2005

Please explain

Major Disaster 13:21 28 Jul 2005

One last question
On that guide when it gives the option of formatting which option do i want?
Format the partition using the NTFS file system (quick) OR
Format the partition using the NTFS file system OR
Leave current file system instact? Thanks

woodchip 14:00 28 Jul 2005

When you boot with the XP CD, it will as if you want to do clean install, Not a Repair it will format and do clean install all in one go

Major Disaster 15:11 28 Jul 2005

woodchip
Soory for the slow reply.
That is what i am doing anyway!
Any ideas about the formatting though?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?