What is the Original Setup CD-ROM ?

Winxx 20:00 22 Jun 2008

Here is a picture taken of my problem, this is what happens every time i start up my computer.

click here

I cant find any discs that came with the computer so if there is a place i can buy this CD-ROM to restore my computer to the time it was first purchased, or be able to download software and burn it onto disc myself?

Any help appreciated,
Lewis.

Technotiger 20:04 22 Jun 2008

The original set-up CD is the Operating System Original CD/DVD. Your computer might have the original on a partition within your main drive.

Winxx 20:12 22 Jun 2008

Why would it ask for a CD-R if it already has it on a partition

Technotiger 20:18 22 Jun 2008

Your guess is as good as mine, but I was only saying that some new PC's do have the original, or a rescue system set-up on a partition. I have no actual experience of this though, because I have always insisted on having the original CD/DVD when I purchased/upgraded my machine.

Many on the forum have such experience, so I expect someone will come on to assist you soon.

Technotiger 20:21 22 Jun 2008

I am assuming you have XP or Vista, you could of course purchase an original OS CD/DVD. You would not be able to download it that's for sure.

Strawballs 20:55 22 Jun 2008

Do you get a quick message like "press F11 to run rescue setup" or something similar during startup? if so that is one way to get to the restore to factory settings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 22 Jun 2008

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

If you do not have the original CD you can download boot disks click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017