What no sound?

I-W 21:10 29 Apr 2004

Heres a little brain teaser! Im running windows xp and i went to play a dvd Thru windows media player and at first there was sound, but then there wasnt. Now iv got no sound what so ever. No music, no system sound, no nothing. Now the first thing itried was the volume (naturaly) but nowt. Next was the wires at the back of the computer and speakers. Once again nowt. Device manager was looking to be the next option, so i looked thru that and all is fine, but still no sound. I had a look in the trouble shooting guide and that led me to the bios and cmos. Being a novice and only being in that part of the computer a couple of times(not knowing what i was doing) i left it alone. While this was going on i had a message from norton antivirus saying that a script by the name of HelpCtr.exe had been found and would i like it to proceed. With it being a big red sign i clicked no thinking it would be detrimental to my computer. Any ideas on how to get the sound back? And would the script be doing the damage? any help would be great. thanks

Old Shep 22:28 29 Apr 2004

This is what HelpCtr.exe is click here. Why it left you with no sound I don't know. Stupid to ask if you checked your mute button????

I-W 09:22 30 Apr 2004

Thanks for the link. Iv checked the mute button But still no sound. Im still at a loss.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?