What is my default browser

chochi 14:58 04 Jan 2010

When I open IE8 it says that this is not my default browser and do I want to change it. I know how to change it to be IE8 but am curious to see what browser it thinks is the default. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.

folsom 15:00 04 Jan 2010

Well if it isnt IE8 it is pretty obvious it's one of the others......

MAT ALAN 15:04 04 Jan 2010

do you use any others, namely, firefox or chrome or the likes,if not just set IE8 as default and the message will go away...

chochi 15:10 04 Jan 2010

I did install firefox at one time but have since deleted it. Is there somewhere that will show which browser is the default, as I said I know it is easy to change it to IE8, but I would like to know why it is not showing as the default.
folsom: not a very helpful reply

jack 15:24 04 Jan 2010

There are still elements around that muddy the water.
If you click IE8 is default and you say yes and then at next switch on it asks again.
Try the following.
Download CCleaner[its free] install it and run to options
Run the first section- This will clear Temp files and cookies - if you cant to keep some simply untick the appropriate line.
Then click on registry tap ans t
run that- this will clear any unconnected items -[programs files leftovers]
You should be OK then

Graham. 15:32 04 Jan 2010

Go to Tools, Internet Options, Programs. You can make IE8 your default browser in there.

Graham. 15:34 04 Jan 2010

It should give the current default browser in there.

VoG II 15:38 04 Jan 2010

Start, Run, enter

regedit

and click OK.

navigate to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\command

chochi 15:50 04 Jan 2010

VoG™
Thanks that was great. it shows the following;
C\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE\-nohome. Does that mean it has no default attached to it

VoG II 17:09 04 Jan 2010

Curiouser and curiouser.

That's what mine says and IE *is* my default browser (even though I normally use Firefox).

Sea Urchin 17:16 04 Jan 2010

Assuming XP - Go to Start - Set Program Access and Defaults - expand Microsoft Windows and it will tell you the default web browser.

Tools - Internet Options - Programs will only tell you if IE is or is not the default browser - it won't tell you which one is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017