What multi-page scanner?

1936 17:53 19 Jun 2012

I have been researching the scanner market for a multi-page scanner with software that will help me to scan with OCR and make the subject scanned capable of being searched for by date, title, subject or word and I found the following on a Web Page I will not mention. The only problem is that appearance matters to me and I like number 4 and 5 which both have a lower score. I would welcome sugestions and comments other than, you appear to be confused between not being sure and indecisive. 1. Canon C125 £380.00. SCORE 9.7 2. Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 £342.00 SCORE 8.9 3. Epson gt s55 scanner £432 SCORE 8.0 4. Canon dr-2020u £460.00 SCORE 7.8 5. Epson Gt-1500 £238.00 SCORE 7.4

lotvic 19:44 19 Jun 2012

Well, you've given a list of the Scanner makes and models.... but what are the names of the OCR software programs that come bundled with them? Those are what you should be researching as well. Just look for one that allows proof reading if you want to correct any errors as you go.

i.e. Abbyy FineReader, OmniPage, and TextBridge OCR are examples of OCR software.

When you have your documents saved as Word text, your Office Word program should be capable of searching by date, word etc.

1936 20:38 19 Jun 2012

Well, you've given a list of the Scanner makes and models.... but what are the names of the OCR software programs that come bundled with them?

Whoops, a stupid error on my part. I have nipped out in the middle of an awful English performance in the world cup and will check my choices at the end of the match if I am not to upset. Many thanks

1936 23:47 19 Jun 2012

I managed to crib the following detail which was well worth doing and I set it out below in case you have any comments. Canon C125 Choose Custom, and you get the rest of the software you paid for, including PaperPort 11 for document management, OmniPage SE4 for optical character recognition (OCR), Presto! Buzzard 6 SE for business cards, and recopy PDF Pro Office for working with PDF files. You can also install an Evernote connector that lets you scan directly to Evernote.

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Fujitsu doesn't provide a standard driver that will let you use the scan command from within a program so you can use it with an OCR programme to use the program's scan command to bring up the driver adjust the scan settings if necessary. There are few scanners that don't come with a driver—most often a Twain drive. With the S1500 you're locked into scanning through Fujitsu's scan utility. The Quick Menu choices include your printer, a folder (to save as a JPG or PDF file and a set of choices for Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Each of these last three options will recognize the scanned text using ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap 4.0, a version of FineReader that works strictly as an OCR module for Fujitsu's scan utility (meaning you can't open it directly to use as a standard OCR program).
In addition to the scan utility, the S1500 comes with Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.0 and Fujitsu's own document manager and business card programs—ScanSnap Organizer 4.0 and CardMinder 4.0. ScanSnap Organizer will be of particular interest if you uses SharePoint, since it can connect to SharePoint to scan directly to a SharePoint folder and index the document as part of the process.

Epson gt s55 scanner Presto Biz Card Reader, Presto Page Manager, Abbyy Finereader 6 Epson event manager (Win ver 2.6/Mac ver 2.3) Epson copy utility (ver 3.5) Page manager 8std Abbyy fine reader sprint plus (Win ver 6.0/Mac ver 5) Presto Bizcard (Win ver 5.6/Mac ver 5.0

Canon dr-2020u It comes with a combination ISIS and Twain scan driver, and two Canon scan utilities for Windows 7 32- and 64-bit, Vista SP2 64bit, XP SP3 32bit and SP2 64bit, and Windows 2000 SP4. The ISIS and Twain driver will let you use the DR-2020U with virtually any windows program that includes a scan command. The two Canon scan utilities—CapturePerfect and CaptureOnTouch—offer different approaches to scanning, so you can chose whichever you like better or whichever is the better fit for a given scan. Only CaptureOnTouch, for example, works with the front-panel scan buttons. Canon also includes an assortment of highly useful programs for a document scanner: Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.0 for working with PDF files, Nuance PaperPort 11 for document management, OmniPage SE4 for optical character recognition (OCR), and Presto! BizCard 5 SE for business cards. According to Canon, all of the programs work in all the same operating systems as the drivers and scan utilities.

Epson Gt-1500 It comes with drivers for Windows 2000, Vista, and Mac OS 10.3x through 10.5x. For Windows, the trio of Twain, WIA, and ISIS drivers ensures that you can scan directly from virtually any Windows program with a scan command. The software for Windows includes an optical character recognition (OCR) program (Abbyy FineReader 6.0 Sprint Plus), a document management program (ScanSoft PaperPort version 11), and Epson's own scan utility. For the Mac, the disc also includes a Twain driver and OCR software, but no document management program. Available formats include Bitmap, JPEG, Multi-TIFF, TIFF, and PDF. As with most document scanners, if you scan and save directly to a searchable PDF format, the GT-1500 adds a significant amount of time for recognizing the text. In this case, the OCR step added a little over a minute.

lotvic 00:48 20 Jun 2012

My choice would be the Canon and the software it comes with, seems to have all you could need and more. Perhaps you should do more research on the progs it comes with, a search for: howto's and guides for each program would be a start.

Probably I'm biased as well because I have a Canon MP510 already but the one you have listed comes with even more software than mine did. (Purchased Nov 2006 and still going strong - also I refill the ink cartridges myself from bottles)

I like being able to open an Office, PaintShop, etc other programs and access the scanner from there.

1936 08:49 20 Jun 2012

Many thanks, the Canon does seem to have the best bundle and I was suprised at how poor some of the other scanner software is. I'm a bit worried about part of your reply, "I refill the ink cartidges myself." What has that got to do with scanning?

lotvic 12:30 20 Jun 2012

"I refill the ink cartidges myself." What has that got to do with scanning?

Nothing, it was just another point of why I like my MP510

1936 13:18 20 Jun 2012

Regarding refilling the cartridges I keep a hypodermic syringe that I use for an old fountain pen that has cartridges that are not available now so I will think on extending that to my printer because the ink is a disgraceful price.

lotvic 13:45 20 Jun 2012

I use photo quality ink for my refills as it is thinner and doesn't clog print head. Means my ordinary black text printing is not as sharp but gives me decent enough colour pictures (my MP510 only has 4 cartridges). If you go down the refill route be aware that it will invalidate any warranties and guarantees.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017