What MP3 Player to Buy? (Ipod or Sony?)

Edward_Winsall 16:03 06 Jan 2006

Hi,

I am looking to buy either a 20gb 4th generation iPod, or the new Sony A3000 20gb. I understand from previous Sony walkmans that the supplied software is rubbish, but also that iPods have a lot of problems.

Whats the general picture?
Would be grateful of any ideas.

Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:17 06 Jan 2006

Forget them both and get a Zen sleek. Superb software and you can transfer a whole CD in 15 seconds. Headphones are excellent as well. Also has an FM radio. I wouldn't even consider a Sony or an Ipod now. click here

G

Edward_Winsall 16:21 06 Jan 2006

Sounds silly. But the looks dont match any where near both the iPod and Sony.

Any more ideas?

Ikelos 16:49 06 Jan 2006

iRiver every time, i have the 40gb version, holds about 12000 tracks, plus recorder plus full remote control.plus radio, and on it goes.

The problem with the ipod is that it is not compatable with .wma files (windows media audio). If you use any legal music download service, apart from itunes, you will not be able to play the files on your ipod. Similarly, if you use itunes, your music will not work on any MP3 player apart from an ipod.

Apart from that, I don't think there is much between them. Sony MP3 players boast excellent battery life (around 40 hours) and the ipod has proven to be very easy to use (I have never tried the Sony to comment on usability).

GANDALF <|:-)> after seeing some on the headphones you have recommended on this forum, I'm very surprised you called the set bundled with the Creative player "excellent" as I have found them to be truly awful (if they're the same set thats bundled with the Zen Micro which it looks as though they are).

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:37 06 Jan 2006

'Sounds silly. But the looks dont match any where near both the iPod and Sony'...I always thought that you listened to MP3 players and did not wave them about. It would appear that advertising works.

The headphone with the Zen sleek are excellent.......for a pair that comes bundled with the player.

G

Curio 17:44 06 Jan 2006

I have a Creative Zen Touch 40gb player. Great bit of kit, but headphones are B&0, superb but expensive. I received mine as an Xmas gift!

Edward_Winsall 18:00 06 Jan 2006

Thanks. Do you have a link for this player?

Edward_Winsall 18:00 06 Jan 2006

Sorry everybody else. Creative is not for me!

GuZ><0r 18:22 06 Jan 2006

I think this could be the iRiver Ikelos is talking about, (not that I have it) click here

Ikelos 18:55 06 Jan 2006

GuZ><0r beat me to it, yep, thats the one, and of course if you wanted to, you can back-up your files on it. iRiver do have a good forum, where if needed you can download any updates..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone