What is Microsoft .Net Framework?

Andybear 15:53 19 Jun 2003

In my 'Add/Remove Programmes' list I have a programme called Microsoft .Net Framework. Please can someone tell me what this is? I've been into it and don't really understand. Thanks.

to cut along story short the .net framework is essentially a runtime environment for programs written with microsoft studio.net. in other words if you dont have it then you cannot run those programs, this is the same as some older programs needed the VBruntime files.

if you have the .net framework good for you, i've spent all day trying to download it for a new installation of xp with no joy. getting fed up with 28.8Kb connection ,the joys of rural living.

spikeychris 18:09 19 Jun 2003

M$ answer >>

The Microsoft .NET Framework is a platform for building, deploying, and running Web Services and applications. It provides a highly productive, standards-based, multi-language environment for integrating existing investments with next-generation applications and services as well as the agility to solve the challenges of deployment and operation of Internet-scale applications. The .NET Framework consists of three main parts: the common language runtime, a hierarchical set of unified class libraries, and a componentized version of Active Server Pages called ASP.NET.

Better explanation >> click here

Chris

Andybear 18:22 19 Jun 2003

Thanks, that's great. I've got Version 1.0 installed on my machine. Version 1.1 is on the Windows Update site. Can I install V 1.1 on top of V 1.0 or would it be best to remove V 1.0 first and install V 1.1 from fresh?

spikeychris 18:33 19 Jun 2003

Andy, unless you want to move into application developing I wouldn't bother downloading it.

Chris

Andybear 18:54 19 Jun 2003

Excellent. Thanks to you both for your help. Much appreciated as always.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?