What is Line In

johnincrete 15:11 04 Jun 2009

Transferring tape to file using Nero. It defaults to Line In & I change it to Rear Mic which is where the wire goes. Fine.
What is line in?
Just curious

Stuartli 15:58 04 Jun 2009

It's an input socket for external audio devices.

Stuartli 15:59 04 Jun 2009

On some sound chipsets or sound cards (with three input/output sockets) capable of up to six or seven channel sound output, such sockets can be two-way depending on configuration.

Graphicool1 16:06 04 Jun 2009

There is both a 'Line In' and a 'Line Out' Port on most sound cards. They are usually Mono. Unless it's a 'Headphone' line out and that is Stereo. The Speaker port 'Line Out' is Stereo.

In the case of my Audigy Sound Card you can use 'Line In' for the Mic or if you want to record from a cassette deck.

DieSse 19:24 04 Jun 2009

"It defaults to Line In & I change it to Rear Mic"

To record from the regular (Line-Out) socket of a tape deck, you should normally leave it set to Line-In.

Line-In and Line-Out are normally stereo on computers, using a mini-jack plug.

Simsy 23:48 04 Jun 2009

on "line in" refers to "Line level", as opposed to "Mic level"... where "level" means in effect, volume, and "Mic" means "microphone"...

Generally speaking most bits of audio equipment you will encounter have an output at, roughly, "line level" and expect to take in an input at, roughly, line level.

The exceptions to this are microphones...

If you think about it a microphone is converting small sound waves to a small electric variation. The unamplified output of a microphone is usually in the order of 70dB less tha "line level". A socket intended to accept a "mic level" inout will typically have approx 70dB of amplification built in...

So if you connect a line level source of material to a mic level input, normally the level will be amplified far too much and result in very nasty distortion!...

Does that help!

Regards,

Simsy

johnincrete 06:43 05 Jun 2009

If I leave "Line in" I get nothing recorded. The wire goes from the earphone socket on a portable CD/Tape/Wireless to the green socket on the back of the computer.

SIMSY
Sometimes I use the very easy RecordPad and get a very distorted sound. I got the same effect using Audacity but, without touching the wire, Nero worked but the wave pattern in its editor was almost a solid block. This could be because of the low quality recording but maybe when I have time, I will experiment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?